Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the best all around ammo for a Savage 116 FCSS 7mm Rem Mag?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the best all around ammo for a Savage 116 FCSS 7mm Rem Mag?

What's the best all around ammo for a Savage 116 FCSS 7mm Rem Mag?

Depends on what you are going to hunt. All the major companies make good ammo - some premium bullets and some old stand by grade. The big seven is readily available from 150gr to 175gr. Usually the ammo companies have charts to identify which of their ammo is best for a particular purpose.

Comment

Was hoping to find a 160 grain that still has a little over 3000fps muzzle velocity. closest ive seen so far is hornadys superperformance 154 grain.

Comment

First, speed ain't the whole answer, though it's nice. Faster bullets go further before dropping, meaning less drop to compensate for....and that's a good thang!
        Second. If your rifle won't group the ammo you're shooting, holdover is a moot point.
        Quite worrying (?) over bullet speed, find ammo your gun groups well and work from their. You'll be much happier.

Comment

My pick 139Gr-InterLock/Sp Hornady New American Whitetail Ammo OR Superformance in 7mm/Rem-Mag in 139Gr/sst,139Gr/GMX,154Gr/sst,154Gr/InterBond,162Gr/sst.
          Ditto~FirstBubber If it Don't group change ammo brands if it still don't group...check your Rifle,Scope,Stock.

Comment

In my old Interarms MK X I prefer 150-160 grain bullets for whitetails. I suggest you obtain a selection of factory ammo or componenets in the bullet weight appropriate for what you're hunting and see what your rifle shoots best.

Comment

You will have to try different ammo and see what shoots well in your rifle because accuracy will be your greatest concern. Nowadays, the bullet itself is more important than the manufacturer who packages the ammo. If you are hunting deer, anything you shoot out of a 7mm Mag will work effectively. Lighter and faster bullets are best for long range shooting and open prairie shots. The heavier bullets are best for timber hunting because they will deflect less if they hit a twig on the way to your quarry.

I have had good luck with the Hornady bullets on deer and they are relatively inexpensive. The Interlock and SST are good accurate bullets that will penetrate effectively.

If you are shooting elk, the Barnes, Nosler Partition or Accubond bullets will be good choices. If you are trying to hone in in long range shooting, the Berger very low drag hunting bullet is a fine performer, as is the Nosler Accubond bullet. If you are interested in long range, shoot the heaviest bullet your rifle will shoot accurately (e.g. 180g).

Most deer are taken with 139-160g bullets; most elk around 175g. The lighter the bullets, the lower the recoil. Lower recoil often contributes to shooter accuracy and shooting enjoyment because the 7mm can really kick with larger bullets.

Comment

I don't know if you are a reloader, but my 7mm RM gets some really good velocities with very slow powders (RL 25) and the Nosler 160 gr Accubond.
                It is a CDL model with an over-long 26" bbl though.

Another option would be to look for something loaded with Barnes TTSX bullets. They have the profile of a heavier bullet with lighter weight. So if you want the characteristics of a 160, you can shoot a 150 grain bullet instead. Hypothetically, at least. (I haven't compared BC's)

Comment

My 7mmRemMag had a 26" barrel and i had Norma ammo with 175gr Nosler Partition that shot right at 3000fps. The ammo had sealed primers and bullets and i never saw them again so must have been discontinued. Luckily i had 5 boxes of them. I also had no trouble re loading 175's to 2900fps.

Comment

My son shoots Federal 160 gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claws (discontinued) and some Speer handloads that mimick the TBBC for practice. I shoot the 150 gr Barnes TTSX out of my 7mm Weatherby at about 150 fps faster than your 7mm Rem Mag, but the excellent performance of the Barnes bullets would be great in your rifle as well. You will have to try several brands of ammo before you find the one it shoots best. If you are not handloading, start with a premium bullet and clean barrel and see what shoots best. Not all rifles will digest the same load equally as well. Good hunting!

Comment

If your firearm will shoot 139 or 154 Hornady SST's shoot them they will get the job done whatever you want to do.

Comment

If your firearm will shoot 139 or 154 Hornady SST's shoot them they will get the job done whatever you want to do.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad