Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you take any repair parts for you gun on a remote hunt for several days when you can only take one gun? For what kind of gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you take any repair parts for you gun on a remote hunt for several days when you can only take one gun? For what kind of gun

Do you take any repair parts for you gun on a remote hunt for several days when you can only take one gun? For what kind of gun?

A friend with a Remington 700 30-06 on a week long hunt had the extractor break. He wound up with a single shot rifle for the remainder of the trip - carried a cleaning rod with him to push out a fired case.
    Ever since then i carry a spare extractor for my Model 700 which is replaceable without any special tools.

Comment

I have been known to carry a spare (zeroed) telescopic sight, in case my primary optic was damaged. It hasn't happened to me, but I did witness a friend's scope ruined and he had to press on with a borrowed rifle!

Comment

I take a Back-up Firearm or Two on any Hunting Trip, I once had a rifle fall-out of my 18'tree stand!! it pays to carry a back-up rifle or shotgun, when I was more then 200 miles from home.

Comment

I always carry a backup rifle with me and have had to use it on only one occassion (my scope got crushed in transit... I could have gotten by with EJP's backup scope). I also carry a brass rod that is thicker than a cleaning rod in case I need to dislodge something from the barrel (e.g. ice. stuck bullet) or push a stuck cartridge/case out of the chamber. Again, I've only had to use it once but it saved the hunting trip when I needed it.

Comment

No. I always travel light. I take two shotguns back to Montana to hunt pheasants but that's because I may choose to also hunt waterfowl (never have yet but I want the option).

Comment

Firing pin would be the only extra piece I would think about taking along. Problem is on every gun I have it requires a gunsmith's surgery to change one. Certainly not something that should be attempted in the field.

Comment

Basic tools, including Allen wrenches, screwdrivers, and a spare scope. Have had several scopes damaged badly in shipment. Once a fork lift was driven through a riflecase, then between receiver and scope, ruining a Swarovski. Luckily had brought an extra. Never leave home without duct tape, stocks may split, loose floor plates may fly open due to recoil, and the beat goes on.

Comment

I usually take a spare firearm. However, some countries will only let you take one. For example this year Cameroon will only let me take one. After a great deal of thought, decided to take a 375 H & H. It is over kill for Sitatunga, but sometimes in the deep jungle one bumps into big animals that bump back. Take some anti rust for a nightly wipe down and run a patch through the bore. Kindest Regards

Comment

Might add, when traveling to real serious Third World countries another reason to select the 375 ,or for that matter an 06 is if your ammo does not show up you can generally find some anywhere. Conversely, if your ammo shows up, but not your rifle, the loaner will be one of the above. The major problem with regulations requiring packing firearms and ammo separately is if either one does not appear you have a problem. I have lost track of the times have had to borrow a firearm. Luckily the bags have always reappeared, but often after the hunt.

Comment

My primary big-game rifle originally had iron sights. I removed the rear sight to mount the scope, but left the front in place. I carry the rear sight with me on longer trips in case the scope is damaged.

Comment

If I am going where I can only take one rifle, it would be one of my Mark V's. I always take a back up rifle or two, but I do not hunt Africa with such restrictions. I always bring a cleaning rod for those less fortunate and to patch the barrel a time or two. Duct tape and black electrical tape always in the kit for many uses.

Comment

If your are going on a trip with somebody become familiar with the gun they are bringing along. Take it out and practice with it that way if something goes wrong with your gun you could possibly use their gun once their tag is filled.

Comment

When traveling in my own vehicle, I never fail to include my small gunsmithing tool box. Extra screws, all needed tools, spare parts that have accumulated, cleaning rods, bore brushes, etc. Has saved the day and the hunt, for some less prepared individuals. Also, I carry a spare rifle, zeroed and with proper ammunition, and encourage all those whose gear I tote, to do the same.

Comment

I have always brought along an extra gun, even if a different caliber and I have to pack the extra ammo.
                              Fortunately (knock wood), I have never had to use it.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad