Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone haev any thoughts about 223 vs 6.8? Or just eh 6.8 in general. Is it easy to find that size ammo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone haev any thoughts about 223 vs 6.8? Or just eh 6.8 in general. Is it easy to find that size ammo?

Does anyone haev any thoughts about 223 vs 6.8? Or just eh 6.8 in general. Is it easy to find that size ammo?

6.8mm Rem SPC ammo isn't what I would call readily available,, but, it's not impossible to locate.
    Personally, I like the 6.8. I have the Ruger Ranch and am pleased with it's accuracy and reliability.
    Because of it's military use, the .223/5.56 will always be more popular.
    I have a DPMS in 5.56 and love it. Super for 'yotes. The 6.8 is my close quarters "pig" gun! LOL!

Comment

When I picked up a ranch rifle a couple of years ago, I considered 6.8, but I was wondering about availability of ammo during "crisis" times, Now I am having a tough time finding .223! But as Firstbubba states, they are really calibers for different types of hunting, so pick the one you are going to end up using more. No pigs to hunt here, so .223 is the way to go for me.

Comment

Ri dealt with the ammo dilemma with a set of SB dies, brass and bullets.
        I retrieve as much brass as possible and fill in as needed with new.

Comment

In AR type rifles there is also the .450 bushmaster and i think the .300 whisper works in a AR platform. .223 is going to be more readily available than any of the others. The Ruger Ranch Rifle in 7.62x39 is also another possibility. Depends what you want it for.

Comment

After reading jhjimbo's post, it dawned on me that what he said is true.
            The 7.62x39 may have a bit more oomph than the 6.8, and I'm almost certain, because of the earlier SKS craze, ammo is MUCH more available than the 6.8.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad