Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Im thinking about gettin a big bore barel for my handi rifel. Im torn between the 45-70 and the 500 smith. Im just a little nerv

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im thinking about gettin a big bore barel for my handi rifel. Im torn between the 45-70 and the 500 smith. Im just a little nerv

Im thinking about gettin a big bore barel for my handi rifel. Im torn between the 45-70 and the 500 smith. Im just a little nervous in investing in the 500, I dont want to get something thats to much to shoot. Can anyone compare it to a 12 ga. with 3 inch or 3.5 inch just for reference?

I have the 45/70 for my NEF and the recoil is like a 12ga 2 3/4 to me. I don't know about the .500. I would say the 45/70 is more versatile than the .500

Comment

so the 45-70 isint to bad?im kinda wanting to build a close range big game gun out of it. I dont think the range of the 500 would be to much but that power from it would be nice.

Comment

just google chuck hawks recoil table and you can compare recoil between various loads.

Comment

After checking that out it dosent look like it should be to much more than a 12 gage with 3inch mags.

Comment

I'm very pleased with my Handi-Rifle in .45-70. The recoil was significant until I replaced the factory pad with one from Limb Saver. It was like shooting a 12 gauge slug.
            Trump 2020 - Keep America Great!

Comment

My 45/70 provides plenty of power(and recoil). I wouldn't go looking for any more unless you get a lot of grizzly bears or cape buffalo down your way. Plus 45/70 ammo is expensive enough.
              I really like my Optima. It is one of my favorite guns to shoot and I enjoyed hunting with it for the first time this year. Enjoy whatever you get!

Comment

The S&W 500 is a great round to 50Yd+/- very light recoil in a Rifle, Its a 50/Cal"pistol cartridge" just like a 44Mag in a Rifle, The 45/70 will have a greater amount of recoil over the S&W/500 with greater range 100Yd+/-.
                Good Luck in your Quest....Safe Hunting

Comment

45/70 will make you smile everytime you pull the trigger. Good luck

Comment

I'd sure go the 45/70 route. As long as you are spending the money for a barrel, you might as well get a thumper. I agree with IND_NRA... it will make you smile and you will enjoy it; even if it is sitting in the closet.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad