Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Someone told me I should put locktight on my scope base and and rings what exactly am I looking for and is it something i can ge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't use Locktite on scope screws and have never had a problem and I shoot a lot. I'd suggest going with that first and only use Locktite if you have a problem and then only the Blue Loctite as others have said. I have had to apply a little Blue Locktite inside the rings of my .375 H&H to prevent the scope from slipping back inside the rings with real hot loads. I tried several different rings on it and just couldn't find anything that would hold them without the additive.

Comment

DakotaMan,
      Have you tried using a liner inside of the rings? I just bought a pair of Sako rings that come with a rubber or vinyl liner. I'm sure another big name ring/base maker uses them but the name escapes me. They prevent your rings from marring the finish of the scope and supposedly grip the scope a little better. I haven't shot with them yet but the concept is promising.

Comment

When i put my 6x24 burris on my Remington 700, i needed to shim the scope a little. Burris makes rings that have split ring inserts of several different thicknesses. You can use one thickness on bottom and another on top to achieve what you want and any combination fits into the steel rings. Works great and the reason i mention it is because the insert also is marr proof and gives some friction grip in the scope. Also, if your alignment is slightly off the inserts can move slightly to center everything perfectly. The have been on a few years and so far work perfect.

Comment

I wouldn't use locktight unless the rings and bases were aluminum. But then I wouldn't have anything aluminum on my guns anyway.

Comment

Safado,
            I suspect that would work just fine. I didn't have any of those ring liners though and so I just went with good old Blue Locktite. Thanks for the info though... I may try them next time.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad