Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Someone told me I should put locktight on my scope base and and rings what exactly am I looking for and is it something i can ge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Someone told me I should put locktight on my scope base and and rings what exactly am I looking for and is it something i can ge

Someone told me I should put locktight on my scope base and and rings what exactly am I looking for and is it something i can get at the hardware store?

Ask for blue lock-tite which is removable. The red is harder to remove - have to heat it with a hair dryer to get it apart.

Comment

okay thanks

Comment

Loc-Tite is readily available at local hardware stores, and there are other products like it. Good advice from jhjimbo; the red Loc-Tite is more aggressive. Apply the Loc-Tite to the screw threads, torque them down securely, as usual, the Loc-Tite will dry in the absence of air. I use it, and I recommend it.

Comment

JhJim and Ed J P. have it right. It will come it a bottle about the size of eye drops, and will be hanging on a hook. Do make sure to use the blue removable type, as your Allen wrench is too small to break the bond in the future and without heat you'll just make a mess of your screw head in the event you use red.

Comment

I use loc-tite on all my scope mounts and it works well and I always use the blue loc-tite.

Comment

I use loc-tite on all my scope mounts and it works well and I always use the blue loc-tite.

Comment

I've used blue loctite for years on my scope mount screws. I have never used it on the screws for the rings. I've never really needed it for the rings.

Comment

With a properly ground screwdriver a a small machinist's hammer (3 or 4 oz) and no loc-tite is needed.
                  Simply torque the screw as tightly as possible by hand. With the the screwdriver firmly and squarely mounted in the screw slot, apply "tightening" pressure on the screwdriver while gently but firmly tapping "down" in the screwdriver. The screws may be removed in the same manner by applying pressure with the screwdriver and gently tapping the screwdriver.
                  I've mounted scopes on .340 Wby & .375 H&H in this manner with no problem.
                  About 3 or 4 taps will suffice to tighten a screw, whatever is necessary for removal.
                  Just remember, it's a screw, not an anvil.

Or, if you prefer, Loc-tite. I have seen "Loc-tite" screws shoot loose.

Comment

Clear nail polish on the screw threads also works if you can't find Loc-Tite.

Comment

I'm with DSMbirddog in that I use blue loc-tite but only on my base screws not the ring screws.

Comment

I would try to stay away from loctite and use a screwdriver with a torque gauge. I have had to remove screws that people used loctite on and broke not pretty, they goober up the receiver and scope with screw driver marks. I usually have to drill them out and retap to the next screw size also ugly. If you are going to use it use it in moderation just a tiny bit.

Comment

Hi...

Loc-Tite can not only be found in hardware stores, but is also a common item found in auto supply stores.

It also has many other uses than just on scopes, too.

Comment

Do not use Loc-Tight, use Clear nail polish. I never used Loc-Tight and never had a problem with my screws coming loose. Guess you can say I use my "Aerospace Calibrated Wrist" to apply proper torque!

Comment

Loc-Tite can be found just about everywhere. Hardware stores to Wal-Mart, so you shouldn't have a problem finding it. But I have never used it on a scope mount, nor the nail polish. I have never needed it nor have had any screws come loose. I guess I've been lucky.

I used to use it when refletching arrow veins but I find that Quickfletch is much simpler and gives great performance, but I digress.

I have heard that bowstring wax when applied to screw threads will prevent rust and the screws from backing out. I have done this to my bow setup and so far so good. May be another option.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad