Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

so its about that time where im looking at a new rifle, and something in .25 caliber is where im kinda heading. something small

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• so its about that time where im looking at a new rifle, and something in .25 caliber is where im kinda heading. something small

so its about that time where im looking at a new rifle, and something in .25 caliber is where im kinda heading. something small that just rips those bullets real fast, and is flat shooting. my gunsmith called me the other day saying hes selling a sako (forgot what model) in 25-06, says its a real sweet shooter (charging a premium for it, $1400). but as far a .25 calibers go, im thinking a .257 weatherby is where its at???? looked at some ballistics tables, with 75 grain bullets you can get close to 4000 fps, the things a blow torch. so any thoughts or opinions on .25 calibers?? makes, models, and impressions are all welcome. fyi its a hunting rifle.

.257 weatherby can do it all but it is at a cost. You need a long barrel of like 26" to get full potential and it is hard on the barrel. I had a Weatherby mark V in 240 wby mag (6mm) and it was a great shooter.
    There is also nothing wrong with a good 25-06, it can do it all also. good luck

Comment

Practically speaking, I would recommend the .25-06 over the .257 Weatherby because the .25-06 is really a great performer and brass or factory ammunition is readily available. Ammunition for the .257 Weatherby will be noticeably more expensive and it will not decisively outperform the .257 Weatherby if you do your job as a hunter/marksman. The Sako rifle is an excellent choice; I don't think you'll regret it. Good luck in the field.

Comment

For a quarter bore, the .257 Roberts is my choice. Mild in recoil even with 120 grain bullets and will anchor deer as far away as you can hit them. Mine is a Ruger 77, although I have owned a Winchester M70, Remington 722, and Savage 110 so chambered.

Comment

I would go with E.J.P on the .25-06, Its not a Blow Torch:Presay But with Hand-Loads you can HotRod this Round or look in to a 7mm/08 to HotRod with 75Gr Ammo(4,100)FPS..on a Short Action with a 22" Bbl.

Comment

What WAM said. I've got a Ruger 77 UL in .257 Roberts.

Comment

If a blow torch is what you want then by all means go with the 257 Weatherby,There is nothing wrong with wanting sheer power.If you were considering a Sako then cost is not a great concern.Treestand you didn't end your 7mm 08 comment with a 270 with short pants!I live for that post!

Comment

OK~Pmacc60 The 7mm/08 is a .270 in Short Pants!!
                I have a Story about a friend that left his Ammo (257Wby) Home, One deer season(2011)He hunts on my lease up in N/Fl.He could NOT find any 257Wby-Ammo at all in N/Fl. or S/Ga. (Order Only)...He picked up a used Marlin 30-30 and bagged 2 nice Bucks.

Comment

And the .308 is the .30-06 in short pants, right Treestand?

Comment

All of the shooters I know who own the 25-06 seem to be happy with it, including myself. Have no experience with the 257 Weatherby, but again owners I respect all seem to like it. The 257 Roberts is a neat little round with little recoil but does not deliver the mail with the 25-06 s authority. Both Ed Palumbo and I love our 257 Ackley Improved rifles. However at 75 years of age messing with fire forming cartridges gets to be a bit of a drag. All in all, think you would be happy with a 25-06. Kindest Regards

Comment

To be correct should probably have written, "fire forming cases", not "cartridges".

Comment

I have the Ruger Hawkeye .25-06 and absolutly love it. With the 75 gr bullet the muz vel is around 3500 FPS. You can also find one for a decent price. MSRP is $900, but you can pick one up for cheaper.

Comment

I have the Ruger Hawkeye .25-06 and absolutly love it. With the 75 gr bullet the muz vel is around 3500 FPS. You can also find one for a decent price. MSRP is $900, but you can pick one up for cheaper.

Comment

Thank you Treestand you made my day!!

Comment

I don't have a 25 caliber rifle but have been on the look out for a used .257 Weatherby for a while. Nothing else touches it for performance, nothing else comes close. I handload so expense is not really an issue. I have a .240 Weatherby and it is a flat shooting, accurate beautiful rifle. There are several guys on here that have a great deal of experience with the 26-06. I like you was tempted to buy a used Kimber in 25-06 but I'm going to hold out for the Weatherby.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad