Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question for you marksmen/women out there: When I shoot I don't usually focus on using the pad of my finger when squeezing the

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for you marksmen/women out there: When I shoot I don't usually focus on using the pad of my finger when squeezing the

Question for you marksmen/women out there: When I shoot I don't usually focus on using the pad of my finger when squeezing the trigger. I understand this to be the widely accepted "correct" form for accurate shooting. I'm very good at squeezing the trigger instead of jerking it, which I personally believe to be the real crux of the matter. I haven't noticed any problems with rifle accuracy, and I've worked myself into some very consistent pistol shooting as well. So my question is: How important is it to use this method? Is this just another example of "That's what we've always heard you're supposed to do, so that must be the best way"?

Congratulations on working up good trigger control. Different strokes for different people on what part of the finger contacts the trigger. I shot on a pistol team in college and i was more toward the first joint. A friend that i shoot ground hogs with squeezes his trigger between his finger pad and his thumb on the back side of the rifle trigger guard.
    In either rifle or pistol i find it is equally important to pick up or mount the gun in exactly the same way every time. I found that, plus a clear mind to be equally important to trigger control and a good shot. On the indoor .22 competition team i had a decent average and one time shot a 298 out of 300 score. Keep practicing and find what works for you and stick with it.

Comment

The reason for using just the pad of you first joint is so you don't get too much finger inside the trigger guard and inadvertently torque the weapon around. If this doesn't happen with you, don't worry about it. I wouldn't discount hundreds of years of marksmanship experience though, as if everything was just a bunch of obsolete information.

Comment

All that started around {1768+/-} with Flint-lock B/Power Rifles so not to "jerk" the Shot to the left or right. keep doing what you do with the pad of your finger.

Comment

I think the idea behind using the pad is to press the trigger directly to the rear, whereas pressing with the first joint exerts pressure at an angle, causing the gun to move slightly when the trigger breaks.
          This is more prevalent with handguns than with rifles, which are supported at four contact points.

Comment

When training new operators in plant operations, I taught them correct, "textbook"procedure. Once trained and tested on "proper" procedure, I would tell them, "We have raw product coming in with unknown until tested qualities. We have to meet "these" EPA and SDWA parameters before leaving the plant! I don't care HOW you get from point A to point B, I don't care, as long as standards are maintained."
            From time to time, procedure was changed because of a new persons innovation.

My point being: Learn the "correct" way, then adjust as necessary to fit your needs.
            It doesn't matter HOW you get home as long as you arrive safely!

Comment

Shooting with the pad of your finger is a suggestion. Use what works for you.

Comment

I agree. The "correct trigger form" is the one that gets the bullet into the boiler room.

Comment

We were taught in conceal carry class to never jerk, pull or squeeze the trigger. Press the trigger back with the pad of the index finger.

Comment

I shoot 2 oz to 1 lb triggers for targets and 2-4 lb triggers for hunting depending on whether I have to use gloves or not.

For very accurate (benchrest and competitive pistol) I use the first pad of my finger with a straight back pull. People generally have more sensitivity in that part of their finger and most importantly can pull the trigger straight back with ease and no risk of torquing the gun as they squeeze.

If you shoot competitive pistol, you won't be competitive using more of your finger than the pad. It doesn't work because the pistol is so manueverable that it reacts to the torque of the trigger pull much more than a rifle.

If you are only interested in the level of accuracy that hits a deer in the chest at 50 yards, you can use whatever you are comfortable with.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to 16 Years
                      by 99explorer
                      The latest rumors on the pandemic.
                      They have just discovered that drinking cow urine protects against COVID-19.
                      Who'd have thunk it?
                      Today, 10:38 PM
                    • 16 Years
                      by jhjimbo
                      So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                      08-12-2020, 09:20 PM
                    • Reply to 16 Years
                      by 99explorer
                      I love it when I have these guys on the ropes, with each one hoping the other will bail them out.
                      Hey CRM, have you heard any good conspiracy theories
                      Today, 10:19 PM
                    • Reply to Need advice on choice of 20 gauge semi auto
                      by FirstBubba
                      "... I should have been in Africa yesterday. Damned coronavirus! ..."
                      Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; Today, 06:25 PM.
                      Today, 10:15 PM
                    • Need advice on choice of 20 gauge semi auto
                      by derek7
                      Hi everyone,

I have one question regarding how to choose the right shotgun for myself. I want a 20 gauge semi auto with interchangeable barrel...
                      08-11-2020, 09:03 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X