Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Here's a good question, what is the worst firearm malfunction you have ever had?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's a good question, what is the worst firearm malfunction you have ever had?

Here's a good question, what is the worst firearm malfunction you have ever had?

I've only had a few (six from one very expensive new rifle on its first hunt). However, the worst was with my trusy Mauser action. I had stalked a nice antelope all day and finally jumped him. I failed completely missing a nice 200 yard shot where he was cruising at 3/4 speed. In my haste, I slammed my Mauser bolt back to reload while he was still in the same zip code. The bolt shroud travelled back far enough to rotate and I couldn't close the bolt. Bye-bye antelope.

I had never had a malfunction in that action after over 40,000 rounds. It had a weak bolt shroud detent spring (a tiny 10 cent part). It was easy to replace and it has been fine since. It pays to maintain rifles though when you shoot a lot. It certainly ruined my day but I'm glad it wasn't a charging lion.

Comment

The worst I have had was with a Rem 870 and it was my fault. Not putting the shells far enough into the mag tube until they click and letting it slide under the hinged plate covering the loading port. You have to use a knife or small screwdriver or tear the shotgun apart to get the shell out from under the plate,

Comment

My biggest firearm malfunction has been between my ears. Now; Scopes, That is another issue. It pays to but on quality optics.

Comment

I had a spring break on the trigger of the police academy owned Glock 17 while we were at the firing range. Could have been terrible if it happened in an actual survival situation. Thankfully it wasn't. I do have to make this caveat though, the pistol had probably had tens of thousands of rounds shot through it and I am not not worried about the durability of Glocks, I carry two at work everyday.

Comment

Jerry that brings back memories. I LONG since forgot all about this.

I was on the M16A1 range many many years ago and a piece of cleaning material worked its way into the trigger assembly. It prevented the weapon from firing single shot or even stop firing when the trigger was released. Yes I know that is not supposed to happen. It was a FULL AUTO by mistake. Pulled the trigger at a pop up target and it burped 20 rounds in a sec. Put in another magazine and it did it again.

Got thrown off the range that day.

Comment

@Rocky- I'm surprised they weren't threatening you with an Article 15, at least until they figured out it was a weapon problem, not a soldier one. Great story, made me smile.

Comment

@Rocky- I'm surprised they weren't threatening you with an Article 15, at least until they figured out it was a weapon problem, not a soldier one. Great story, made me smile.

Comment

My dad gave me his older .30-06 model 742 to get fixed. It does not lock properly, so when it goes to eject it does not catch the round to eject it. the bolt goes all the way to the rear and then comes forward with the next round. The only way to fix it is to drop the mag, fish out the loose round in there and then slam the bolt forward a few times to catch the spend round still in the chamber. I've taken to a few gunsmiths and they cannot seem to figure out how to fix it. Anybody have any sugestions?

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad