Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

has anyse had a problem with their eye glasses changing point of impact while shooting with a scope. i got glasses to correct an

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• has anyse had a problem with their eye glasses changing point of impact while shooting with a scope. i got glasses to correct an

has anyse had a problem with their eye glasses changing point of impact while shooting with a scope. i got glasses to correct an astigmatism and all of my rifles and my bow shot about 6 inches to the left.

Shooting a bow maybe but that makes no sense shooting through a scope. Something else accounts for that.

Comment

it did it on 3 rifles that were perfectly sighted in

Comment

I wear trifocals and I had to learn to shoot with them on when using a scope. I have to make sure I am seeing through the right level. I didn't notice the point of impact changing except when I use the wrong level and then it is just because the picture just isn't clear.

Comment

Maybe, Sarge, but 6"? And consistent with three different guns? Correcting astigmatism generally is not a significant change in optics. This defies explanation.

Comment

when accounting for an astigmatism glasses change the focal point. The warping of the light that the glasses change enters your eye different thus changing your focal point and point of impact. Most right eye dominant shooters will be lift with glasses and left eye dominant people will be right. Also when shooting your bow try to have big lens because the focal point on the edge of the frames is different from the center. You shooting will be worst until you get use to your glasses but will eventually get better.

Comment

I think if you sight a rifle in without glasses and then attempt to shoot a group while wearing your glasses, you will have to adjust the ocular lens to get the crosshairs sharply in focus. That adjustment might account for any change in point of impact, but 6" does seem like a lot if the target is 100 yards distant.

Comment

The distance between the target seen at the back of the scope and the retina of the eye is so short that I really don't see how any change in glasses optics could alter the focal point of his eyes to that extent. The focal point of the scope optics is not going to change to any extent left to right even if the focus ring is adjusted. Well, not if the glass is of respectable symmetrical quality. I think there's something else going on here. Perhaps he has changed his shooting technique?

Comment

i didnt change the shooting technique that i know of . i had been shooting alot prior and they were all dead on

Comment

You need to have your optician mark your optical center directly min front of your eyes-
                    they often use a binocular Pupil distance measurement- the distance both eyes together and they split the distance, when shooting you need to have a monocular Pupil distance measurement taken- your Pupil distance could be 62 millimeters and then split in two, would be 31MM for right and 31mm for the left. the problem arises your pupil distance could be 32mm for right and 30 mm for the left- it would make a big difference sitting at a desk or driving, however when shooting it could be a major difference!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad