Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking to get my daughter a .22 for her birthday. Looking for opinions. See first post for more info.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• habben97
    replied
    maybe take a look at rossi. they have a lot of single shots.

Leave a comment:

• AAM
    replied
    Happy to help.

Leave a comment:

• bruisedsausage
    replied
    Thanks, I'll try to take a look at those mentioned.

@ Bubba, how hard is it to pull the cocking piece back on the chipmunk? Seems like it could wear out a little shooters fingers? I would be right there and could do it for her, but I would rather she went through the process in order to shoot. Just don't want to make it a painful experience.

That Marlin XT-22Y looks interesting. Although I would probably have to shorten the LOP for her as it looks a little long.

Thanks Again guys, great feedback!

Leave a comment:

• Sarge01
    replied
    I'm glad you aren't going to buy her a pink gun. I think they are disgusting looking.

Leave a comment:

• AAM
    replied
    Marlin also makes a youth single shot 22, it is the XT-22Y.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    bruise

Can't go wrong with a single shot. Might even consider the Chipmunk if she's small framed. Single shot makes them think about each shot.

Leave a comment:

• Pmacc60
    replied
    TC also makes a youth model and in pink (not cheap)that is very good.Little girls love pink so sometimes you have to roll with it.

Leave a comment:

• Treestand
    replied
    You just can beat the Savage Rascal .22Lr or .22Shorts for Reduces Muzzle Blast for a Young Person.
    Good Luck.

Leave a comment:

• mike0714
    replied
    Try a henry lever action .22 they can fire both longs and shorts, are easily to use safely, tough, and reliable. It was my first gun when I was turned 8. It still shoots as well as it did on day one and I still love to shoot it. I hope to have kids one day to pass it on to.

Leave a comment:

• Brian Phipps
    replied
    Took a friends 5 year old son shooting last week (hes bigger for a 5 year old) and my Mark II was a little to big for him

Leave a comment:

• bruisedsausage
    replied
    The Savage Cub from what I understand is just a scaled down version of the Mark II, but in a single shot platform. The biggest issue with this though is it has been discontinued, as the Rascal was its replacement. I think that even a youth Mark II would be too unwieldy for her.

Thanks,

B.S.

Leave a comment:

• AAM
    replied
    Sorry, forgot to put an "is" between "That" and "a".

Leave a comment:

• AAM
    replied
    That a pretty good choice but single shots are kind of fustrating to use, but bolt action is the best. Maybe a savage mark II, since it is magazine fed.

Leave a comment:

• bruisedsausage
    replied
    Wanting to get my daughter who will be turning 6 in a few months a good quality starter .22 for her Birthday. So far it seems that the Savage Rascal is probably the best thing on the market right now that fits with what I’m looking for. If there is something better or an alternative that you think could be ranked into the same category please do mention it. Absolutely won’t consider any models that are in ‘pink’ as I think it’s an abhorrent idea, so please don’t recommend getting her a ‘pink’ .22 Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Looking to get my daughter a .22 for her birthday. Looking for opinions. See first post for more info.

Looking to get my daughter a .22 for her birthday. Looking for opinions. See first post for more info.

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad