Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What type of .30-06 ammo do you use for elk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSUSPARTYFAN
    replied
    I used the Barnes 180 grain TTSX Vor tx on an Elk hunt in Colorado this past October. Prior I zeroed my Browning X-bolt at 300 yds and was pleased that I could have groups that were touching each other at that distance. I dropped a 300 class Bull although it turned out to be a less than 150 yard shot. I used the same load on a Michigan white tail in November. My first shot on a buck was at 415 yds based on a range finder which was a long shot but I felt the bullet would preform, the buck stopped for a second and than took off. I was sure I shot too high. I had a second chance shot at 212 yds where I was able to drop the buck. When I field dressed the buck I found that I had hit him on the first shot and because I didn't hit any vitals the bullet sailed through with the exit hole about the same size as the entry. That said the expansion is ideal for Elk but may not be the best for white tail

Leave a comment:

• ALJoe
    replied
    Federal Premium BTSP 165 grain. Served me well in the past.

Leave a comment:

• DakotaMan
    replied
    180g Barnes TTSX in the 30-06. Because it has considerably more zip, I use 210 Bergers in my .300 Dakota to support very long range shots.

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    I would use my .300WbyMag for elk with Federal Premium Safari with 180gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claw.

If i had to use my 30-06 i would use my handloads with 180gr Nosler Partition.

Leave a comment:

• Grassroots89
    started a topic What type of .30-06 ammo do you use for elk?

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad