Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How often do you clean your rifle or shotgun and how do you clean it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How often do you clean your rifle or shotgun and how do you clean it?

How often do you clean your rifle or shotgun and how do you clean it?

I always clean before storage or if submitted to harsh elements. I wipe off daily during hunting season with an oil cloth. I also carry a bore snake for the field if it is needed. For my rifles, I cover the muzzle with a small balloon to keep out moisture/debris, electrical tape works too.

Comment

PAShooter and I are on the same page. Being from Pennsylvania, we've learned it's especially important to thoroughly clean a weapon that's spent the day out in the rain or snow. I think not doing this is how most guns get rusty and malfunction.

I also make sure I get all my guns out off the safe about once a month a wipe them down. Poor storage is the other cause for rust and malfunctions in the field.

Comment

I clean them after each use and then every 6 months if fired or not. Before cleaning bore i flush it with kerosene on a patch to get out carbon residue. Rifles i use a jag with brownells bore paste to remove metal fowling. Finish with a light patch of Rem oil. I just got some Parker Hale type jags and am going to try them. Suppose to have more patch surface in contact with the bore.
        Bolts get a wash with kerosene and brush or q tips and then very, very light oil. No oil on the firing pin as the kerosene leaves a thin film of light oil.
        Exterior is wiped down with light oil or silicone. On a new rifle with wood stock i take Rem oil and a tooth brush and coat all the checkering - kinda weatherproofs the grain.
        .22 rimfire i only clean after 3 or 4 uses.
        P.S. on center fire i always wait a couple days to clean the bore - old school thought was the gasses and embedded material work back out from steel over time. Don't know how true that is but i have always done it.

Comment

Centerfire rifles every 15-20 shots which is a typical range session or before storage.
          Rimfires every roughly every 100 shots which is about twice a year.
          Shotgun after turkey season.
          If it is raining/snowing I typically will use a synthetic/stainless firearm (majority of my guns) which gets a disassembly and wipe down at the end of the day.
          PAshooter puts forth a good tip about taping/covering the muzzle. A cheap solution and a couple seconds of time that could save a hunt or your life.

Comment

Mine get a thorough cleaning once per year at the end of the hunting season, but regular wipe-downs with an oiled cloth whenever they are handled during the off season.

Comment

My centerfire rifles and handguns are cleaned after use and in rotation (after inspection) on at least a monthly basis. Some of my autoloaders require attentive cleaning for reliable function. The shotguns are cleaned after firing and whenever they're exposed to rain (I live in NW Oregon). The .22 rimfire rifles and sidearms are cleaned routinely between sessions, but certainly after a brisk day's use on small game. Inspections and maintenance in the off-season are conducted in sunlight; I want to see every mote of dust and any discoloration.

Comment

Immediately after any exposure to moisture and before long-term storage. During long-term storage I will take the guns out once a month to wipe down with a little rem oil and a rag.

Comment

I clean the bore, and wipe them down after each use, and I'll give them a thorough cleaning at the end of the season.

Comment

I do it after every use

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad