Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best type of round you can use in a handgun, shotgun or rifle for home defense that will do the job? Shot size or t

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my .38 is a smith mod 36 and not +p so i have been avoiding the hot stuff. I have seen the FBI load around. I have shot the 158gr lead at a stump and i can say i would not want to be on the receiving end.

Have you used any of the low flash rounds?

Comment

Glaser Safety slugs in my pocket gun. I would not shoot a handgun at much more than point blank range in self defense anyway. 12 gauge 3" #2 or BB goose loads are might deadly at defensive ranges.

Comment

I agree with WA concerning #2 or BB loads for the home. In the close confines of your house, waterfowl loads would be vicious and might not blow through walls like buck shot may. My prayer is that it never comes to that, but as a husband and father, I must be prepared.

Comment

Federal Hydra-Shock in my .40 S&W. I believe its the round (or used to be) that the FBI use. I know many police departments use it also. Regardless, an FBI agent suggested them to my father years ago as a good stopping round. They shoot very well in my Sig 229. As far as a shotgun, 2 3/4 1 oz rem sluggers. Good enough for deer, good enough for a bad guy is my reasoning.

Comment

You guys are right there.
            At average (?) home defense ranges of 20(+/-) feet, a 12 bore with even small shot is "really" nasty!
            I witnessed my grandfather (early 60's) kill a deer at seven steps with a 16 ga and 7 1/2's!
            A shot column doesn't open up very much at that range! A whole lot like WAM 's Glaser rounds. Actually very little danger of collateral damage. Only draw back is a long gun in close quarters.

The .22 mag isn't "the" best by any means. My point being people, mostly women, that may shy away from recoil find the little mag manageable. And it's a pretty vicious little round.

Comment

#4 buckshot would be my first option for home defense in a shotgun. If not, I bet some #4 turkey loads would be nasty! I've been hearing that a lot of women (not saying men don't use them!) are starting to by AR's for home defense because of the power it has but with low recoil.

Comment

You know, an AR with .223 Varmint Grenade or similar bullet with a frangible jacket and sintered metal core might be just the trick for close range firepower where penetration of walls and the neighborhood houses is not desirable.

Comment

jimbo - I have no experience with low flash rounds, but I think that the 148-grain lead wadcutter .38 Special load would be more effective than the 158-grain lead round-nose load for defense.
                  Handloaders have been seating the .38 Special wadcutter bullet backward in the case with impressive results.

Comment

Any pistol not in my big safe (I have quick 2 entry safes both bolted to floor and or wall) I have loaded with a rubber round, then snake shot,the third is hollow points or wad cutters. If i need to shoot more than twice or get to a long gun you are dying. That is the way i was shown. If you don't get the message after 2 rounds being fired you ether don't care or are looking for a fight.

Comment

I just saw a comparison of bird shot to 00 buck on a tv show and was surprised by the effectiveness of bird shot at defensive ranges. I agree with 99explorer that using bird shot will seem less like a Rambo. I have also heard that using handloads can give the wrong impression too!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad