Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best type of round you can use in a handgun, shotgun or rifle for home defense that will do the job? Shot size or t

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the best type of round you can use in a handgun, shotgun or rifle for home defense that will do the job? Shot size or t

What is the best type of round you can use in a handgun, shotgun or rifle for home defense that will do the job? Shot size or type of bullet, etc.

The Glaser Safety Slug is available in most modern handgun calibers.
    It was developed in the 1970's for sky marshals to reduce the risk of overpenetration and ricochet on board aircraft.
    The bullet has a copper jacket and holds a load of #6 or #12 birdshot capped with a polymer tip.
    It is reportedly very inaccurate beyond ten yards or so.

Comment

For a shotgun you can't do much better than a 2 3/4 shell loaded with 00 buck shot

Comment

For a shotgun you can't do much better than a 2 3/4 shell loaded with 00 buck shot

Comment

Talk about a "loaded" question!

Everybody has a "favorite" cartridge, firearm, action......
          The "BEST" is the one you're comfortable with and can handle with any proficiency.
          A $1500 customized "Loudgoboomin" ain't worth 10ยข if you can't shoot it or hit a target!
          Get something you can handle and practice, practice, practice!

Comment

Lot's if folks overlook the .22WRM! A .22 mag revolver is absolutely vicious and can penetrate bullet proof vests! ( some, not all! )
            Easy to handle for most women. Very little recoil. Even a plain Jane .38Spl is a fine "female" gun.

Comment

For handguns I prefer 40 S & W although I have no problem with 9mm. For a shotgun you can't beat a 2-3/4" shell loaded with 00 buck. I also have a .410 bore that I load with slugs.

Comment

911 will get em every time!

Comment

The one you can shoot accurately and confidently.
                  The Spray and Pray philosophy is a poor defense strategy. But one that a lot of people seem to subscribe to.

Comment

9-1-1 Dial-A-Prayer

Honk, I thought you were educated? Apparently you have a computer attached to the internet.
                    We good so far?
                    Now, do some research. See how many people killed or injured by intruders while on the phone with 9-1-1.

Comment

Heh, heh! Bubba it's so easy to jerk your chain.

Comment

An older gentleman calls 911 and tells the operator thieves are breaking into his tool shed again. The operator informs the man, "...all our units are busy at this time. Stay in your home and we'll send a unit when it's available."
                        About 5 minutes later, the man calls back and tells the operator not to worry about the thieves in his tool shed because he's shot them.
                        Within a minute or two several units arrive and catch the two thieves red handed.
                        One of the responding officers asks, "I thought you shot those guys! "
                        The gentleman replied, "I thought all your units were busy? "

Comment

There is a school of thought that birdshot is just as effectived as buckshot at close range, and makes the homeowner look less like a Rambo when the law arrives on the scene. Just sayin.'

Comment

I was thinking the same thing. My 12ga has a bandoleer with misc. 2 3/4 of 6 and 7 1/2 shells.
                            Glaser Safety seems to be the choice for home protection.
                            FirstBubba
                            I did not realize a .22mag would make that good of a round for home use. I also have a .38 smith that i carry sometimes - 158gr lead round nose.
                            I was also advised not to use any handloads as that may be looked at as something excessive or something.
                            Have not shot my .40s&w glock at night yet so do not know about muzzel flash. I may get some of the reduced flash rounds to try out.

Comment

jimbo - The 158-grain lead round nose .38 Special is rated one of the least effective man-stoppers in that caliber. It was used by large-city police departments for decades.
                              The 158-grain lead hollow-point (semi-wadcutter) is rated one of the best. It is known as the FBI load, the Chicago load and the Metro load. The Remington ammo is made from a softer lead, and is therefore more likely to expand than the Winchester loading.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Good morning everyone
                                by DakotaMan
                                PH, these are long range rifles and when the rifling at the crown is worn even a little bit, the group sizes grow noticeably. 3 inch groups at 1000 yards...
                                Today, 12:47 PM
                              • Good morning everyone
                                by fitch270
                                Looks like most of the regular crew is on right now, what's everyone's plan for the day? I'm packing up gear and headed on the hill to shoot some rifles...
                                08-01-2020, 08:52 AM
                              • Reply to Handgun Laser Sights
                                by dewman
                                Only gun I have with a laser is a Walter p22 that I don't care much for. Sorry PH.
                                Today, 12:41 PM
                              • Handgun Laser Sights
                                by PigHunter
                                On 7/19, Milldawg mentioned he'd ordered a laser sight for his wife's Ruger LCP 380 and they were on sale at MidwayUSA. Well, that inspired me to order...
                                08-03-2020, 11:20 AM
                              • Reply to Handgun Laser Sights
                                by dewman
                                That's what my sister in law carries, exactly the same I believe. And like many, she's never shot even one round through it. I can't tell you how many...
                                Today, 12:39 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X