Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your go to rifle for big game? In what caliber,how did you come to that chioce?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hunt a wide variety of big game in an even wider variety of conditions. Combine these with my being a Gun Nut leads me to using many different rifles. Having made thes statements, I suspect would be safe to say my "go to" rifle would be a 300 Win Mag for big game. I normally prefer heavy for caliber bullets. Used to use 200 grain Nosler Partitions, but since Barnes came out with their Triple Shocks I use them in the 180 weight. For buffalo, I prefer the 416 Rigby with a 400 grain bullet. Normal safari, a 300 and a 416. Elephant a 416 for a light rifle and something larger using a 500 grain bullet, solids only. African cats, 300, 338, or a 375. Big bears, 338. Sheep anywhere, back to the 300. Kindest Rgards

Comment

Forgot to respond to how I reached my choices. Trial and error, lots of both. However, there are lots of good choices, nothing cast in stone.

Comment

Remington 700 ADL in .30-'06 with a hand-loaded 165 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip or Accubond. Has killed everything I've ever hit with it, and has very few misses to it's credit. Arrived at this choice because:
        A. Lightweight, accurate rifle.
        B. Always liked the '06, can buy rounds anywhere in a pinch.
        C. 700 ADL does not have a magazine release. Once had a BDL dump all the shells in the magazine from recoil.
        Carry either a Ruger Hawkeye in .25-06 or a Winchester Model 70 in .338 Win Mag for a back up, depending on locale and game to be hunted. Also from experience/preference.

Comment

crm3006,
          A great selection, 06, 2506, and 338 . Kindest Regards

Comment

My go to guns are .204 ruger for small game, predators, and smaller game, .284 WIN. built off a self custom 700 action for antelope to moose/plains game and
            45-70 for protection form large bears (never had a chance to hunt them).

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad