Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your go to rifle for big game? In what caliber,how did you come to that chioce?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is your go to rifle for big game? In what caliber,how did you come to that chioce?

What is your go to rifle for big game? In what caliber,how did you come to that chioce?

Sako A7 in 300WSM..Accuracy is outstanding , Enough power for everything that I hunt. Sako A7 is a well made rifle with the features that I like, detachable mag., fine trigger . well proportioned stock.

Comment

Remington 700 in 30-06.
      If i anticipate longer range shots the Weatherby Mk V in 300WbyMag.
      Close range i would pick my Remington 7400 in 30-06 or my Winchester 94 in 30-30 with iron sights. Scoped Marlin 336 in 30-30 is also a possibility.

Comment

savage 99 in 300 savage, a gift from my uncle before he died. it has iron sights so i limit it to 200 yards and it does well in those situations
        just added a 30-06 mauser soon to wear a 4x something vortex viper mildot scope. that will be good out way past 200 after i do the load work up.

Comment

my .270 wsm serves my purposes for being a midwestern hunter...biggest game ive tackled is black bear. i have a .300 weatherby itching to go on a trip out west after college though.

Comment

.35 Whelen except where long range shots greater than 300+ yards are the rule, although I killed a bull elk at 308 measured yards with it, bang, flop. Plenty of gas for big bears at close range as well.

Comment

I use a CZ 550 in 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser for deer hunting. I picked that caliber because I wanted something alittle different and I liked the description in Cartridges of the World. I'd like to buy one of the new FN Winchester Model 70s in 30-06 for my next rifle, if I can ever find one in my area.

Comment

I use my Rem-M-7/7mm-08 Compact for Tree Stand Hunting and my Win-M-70/264Win Mag for Run/Gun(Bought in Saigon P/X Shipped Home 1965)The Rem-M-7/7mm-08 With an 19"Bbl Walnut stock/New 1983.

Comment

so far id have to say a 30-06 been very reliable and have taken some nice game with it

Comment

New model Winchester Model 70 Featherweight in .270 Win. I picked it up as a "used" gun, but it hadn't ever been shot, and the price was right. I picked the caliber because that's what it was chambered in. I only hunt deer so .270 Win, along with about 500 other cartridges would do the job just fine. It's commonly available, with a wide range of factory loads.

Comment

My primary "go to" rifles are 25-06s. One is Ultralight for hauling many miles through rough terrain where distant shots are unlikely and the other is for open prairie where 600 yard shots may occur. Their speed has made shooting running game much easier and I feel I can take better shots because of it. I just don't miss too much with those and have great confidence in placing a bullet right where it needs to be regardless of circumstances.

Where elk sized game or distances beyond 600 yards are likely, my go to rifle is a custom long range .300 Dakota barrel on a M98 Mauser action. It is extremely accurate and carries enough power to deck an elk at 1000 yards if I ever decide to take a shot that long. I shoot Berger 210g bullets in that and concentrate my practice in the 500-1000 yard range. I get five shot groups well under 4 inches at 1000 yards and hope to improve on that by elk season this year.

Comment

I forgot to mention... with each of the above rifles I carry a backup rifle. That is almost as important to me so I shoot it a lot just in case I will be needing it. That rifle has to be an all around good one capable of timber stomping or open field shots out to 500 yards. It has to have enough speed to keep me on running game and enough bullet weight to get me through the twigs. For that I use a custom Howa 1500 chambered in 30-06... a very accurate and versatile rifle indeed.

Comment

Savage Model FHSS 116 in 300 Win Mag. For hogs it is a Marlin 1895 in 45-70.

Comment

I have a 300 Win Mag that I love. I am very comfortable shooting it accurately at great distances, 500+ yards. I got it when I was 18 and have shot it every chance I get. I really enjoy playing with loads for it and have got it down to a few that really pair well with the gun.

Comment

I use a variety depending on expected conditions. For long shots it's a bolt-action or single shot in .308 Win. For expected fast and furious it's a semi-auto 30-06 or 12 gauge pump. For fun I sometimes use a .45-70 single-shot or a .45 revolver.
                              Trump 2020 - Keep America Great!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad