Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's your opinion. The ruger mini-14 or an AR-15, which one is better?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's your opinion. The ruger mini-14 or an AR-15, which one is better?

What's your opinion. The ruger mini-14 or an AR-15, which one is better?

This question gets asked frequently...that AR-15 usually wins out over the Ruger mini-14.

Comment

Mini-14 = crap
      AR15 = gold

Quite a difference in the quality of the construction and its inherent accuracy.

Comment

Definitely the AR-15

Comment

Buy the Mini-14 and you have a Mini-14. Buy an AR-15 and you have the ability to change it into a dozen diffrent calibers from 22LR to 50 Beowulf by just changing a barrel or an upper.

Comment

Lot's of folks like different things.
            I have a Ruger Ranch in 6.8mm Rem SPC. I am also in possession of an AR-15.
            I like them both.
            As to which is "better"?
            I haul the Ruger around the most. Not because it's better or worse, I just prefer the feel and the caliber.

Comment

buy the ar you wont be disapointed

Comment

In my opinion the AR-15 is better, but Dakotaman the Mini-14 is by no means c**p.

Comment

Most AR platforms

Comment

In the early '90's the Mini-14 would have been better. In the last several years the AR styles have come on strong and get the nod.
                    In the mid '60 i shot the M-16 and it was junk. The M-1 carbine, although lacking power was a sweet shooter. The legendary M-14 was king in those years and that is what the Mini-14 is patterned after.

Comment

If you require versatility, the clear choice is the AR15. If you require utility, the Mini-14 bears consideration. I had one in .223 Rem and enjoyed using it. I kept it clean and never had a problem with it. I understand the polarity that develops when shooters favor one piece of equipment or another - the usual Ford vs. Chevy debate - but I've used both and I try to be objective. I enjoyed my Mini-14, and it handled well for me. I did not require any changes in chambering or barrel configuration, and the only accessory with which I provided it was a Weaver K3 scope on the receiver. It was more than adequately accurate to discourage many coyotes and eliminate a few others, while providing me an occasional pot-shot at ground squirrels.
                      I will ask you to shoulder both, fire both if you have the opportunity, and choose objectively. One or the other will suit you a bit better. Mine spent much of its time in the back seat of my crew-cab.

Comment

The Ruger mini 14/223 Not bad! But Not a tack-driver, I have had TWO one in ,223R and & 7.62x39(Ranch Rifle)Good but No tack-drivers They shot 1 1/4" @100Yd
                        good enough for Fox to Deer, with a good scope,with factory sights they not worth a Hoot. Its all up-to you!

Comment

Treestand
                          I guess i got lucky. I have a stainless ranch rifle, .223 with a weaver 1x4.5(post & crosshair) new 1990 and it shoots three shots touching at 100yds with my reloads.
                          I did buy a used one first and it was terrible - i think the barrel was burned out.

Comment

My appologies to all; I was a little harsh there. The Mini-14s I have shot were just not very accurate but they reloaded fine. Apparently there are good ones out there. If Jhjimbo can shoot three shots that touch at 100 yards, that is under .25 MOA accuracy (as long as they all tough each other) and is mighty fine.

I count on most modern AR products to shoot .5 MOA or better with good ammo and an Accuwedge. If your AR doesn't do that, you can crank on a barrel that will. I still consider the AR to be a superior rifle but am certain that it depends on who makes it and what model you have. Mine is a Bushmater Varminter and it shoots .25 MOA with no problem. With a better scope on it, it shot better than that. I can pretty consistenly shoot house flies right between the shoulder blades at 100 yards with it and p-dogs consistently at 500 yards. I have never been able to do that with a Mini-14 and therefore consider the AR to be superior.

Comment

Around here the ranchers call the mini 14 a truck gun, meaning it can bounce around in a truck, take abuse, and still be relied upon for a quick shot at a coyote. I however prefer my AR, it has a higher cap mag and I have it dialed in. They are both fun guns though.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad