Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you bought and sold or traded a gun at a gun show? Was it with individuals(the loophole) or with FFL dealers doing backgrou

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you bought and sold or traded a gun at a gun show? Was it with individuals(the loophole) or with FFL dealers doing backgrou

Have you bought and sold or traded a gun at a gun show? Was it with individuals(the loophole) or with FFL dealers doing background checks? Or, do you only buy from brick and mortar gun stores?

I have bought many guns at gun shows, and I do appreciate the "gun show loophole." It avoids the sales tax as well as the $5 fee for the background check.
    I prefer to sell to or through a brick and mortar store because it establishes a trail from me to a licensed dealer in the event that the gun ever shows up at a crime scene at some future date.

Comment

I buy from Private sale at Gun Shows and Pawn Shops, To use a store stock. and do dealer to dealer trades.

Comment

I have bought,sold and traded long guns and hand guns at a show but i have always kept the I.D.of the individual (drivers license #) for a record of the transaction. So far no problems.

Comment

I buy where ever I can find what I am looking for as long as it is a legal purchase. I like new and the old stuff, guns and rounds they don't make any more are that are not trendy. You buy these were you can find them.

Comment

I typically buy from established stores but I bought my last rifle on Gunbroker.com from a private individual. It went very smoothly and the seller lives in my state so no FFL transfer or background check and no sales tax.
            I sold both my handguns in individual transfers many years ago.

Comment

I haven't bought a gun at a gun show, but I certainly would. It seems like each time I went, they either didn't have what I was looking for, or wanted more than I wanted to spend.

Comment

Guess I'm the thorn in Americas side. I buy what and where I can. Sell the same way. I don't ask nor answer questions. If you want it, it's yours for a price. I'll pay x amount. Take it or leave it.
                If I buy at a store, I understand (didn't say LIKE!) the procedure. I've had two problems buying from stores.
                One set up the older yellow form with carbon to make a copy. I tore them apart to only fill out one. They refused the sale.
                Another wanted to "photocopy" my DL! When I raised hell, they finally backed down and the sale went through.
                Private individuals don't ask questions or make demands. I prefer THAT atmosphere!

Comment

I have in the past bought firearms from individuals.
                  Soon after the purchase I asked a friend on the police force to run the serial numbers to insure they're not stolen...never had a problem. I've likewise sold a couple to individuals too, those very few cases were to my closest friend.
                  Once I was in need of some quick cash to purchase a horse for my daughter and sold a few to a brick and mortar firearms store owner, who likewise ran the numbers before the sale went through...regretted it ever since.

Comment

Ditto with First Bubba. I'll buy from whomever has the best deal. Have bought and sold from/to non-FFL holders. I don't consider it a "loop hole" and reject that term as PC talk.
                    Trump 2020 - Keep America Great!

Comment

I have bought and sold rifles at gun shows. We have some great ones in Georgia... too good to pass up. I usually buy from individuals near the end of the show when they will take about half of what they are asking for their rifle. The gun show stores just pack up their inventory and come back for the next show. You risk losing your quarry that way but I don't fall in love with a rifle until I own it and I don't own it unless I can get a great deal on it.

Comment

I only buy I never sell! I have not purchased from a gun show although I would. I haven't used the "loophole" but if it's legal I would.

Comment

The private sale "loophole" is no more of a loophole than the home mortgage and charitable contribution deductions are tax loopholes. All of the above are codified in the law and are not illegal, not a workaround, or anything shifty. Just don't fall prey to the liberal speak of calling something a loophole just because they do not agree with it or it does not suit their purposes.

You all should refrain from using that term in the context of private firearm sales and vociferously correct anyone else using that term incorrectly. Fast and Furious was perhaps a good example of a "loophole" where the government circumvented the law for their own purposes.

Comment

The use of the words "gun show" appended to the word "loophole" is also misleading because sales of firearms between private parties, regardless of location, require no background check.
                            Private sales are free of this impediment not only at gun shows, but also at flea markets, private homes and/or any other physical location, and any laws designed to close the so-called "loophole" would affect all private transactions everywhere.

Comment

I've sold a few times at gun shows but have not bought any guns at a show yet.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to 16 Years
                                by jhjimbo
                                My Father and I built a 50'X50' pole barn to store his boat and a couple of friends boats over the winter. Just simple construction, we used 16 used...
                                Today, 04:18 PM
                              • 16 Years
                                by jhjimbo
                                So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                                08-12-2020, 09:20 PM
                              • Reply to Need advice on choice of 20 gauge semi auto
                                by Amflyer
                                Aaaaaaaand...there goes Derek.
                                Today, 04:04 PM
                              • Need advice on choice of 20 gauge semi auto
                                by derek7
                                Hi everyone,

I have one question regarding how to choose the right shotgun for myself. I want a 20 gauge semi auto with interchangeable barrel...
                                08-11-2020, 09:03 AM
                              • Reply to Trump
                                by 99explorer
                                Trump is so desperate to screw up the election that he is willing and able to damage the U.S. Postal Service by withholding necessary funding.
                                He
                                Today, 03:59 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X