Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I just read the answers to the question about bullets to use in PA. Some bullet manuf. use the term bond or bonded in their ads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just read the answers to the question about bullets to use in PA. Some bullet manuf. use the term bond or bonded in their ads

I just read the answers to the question about bullets to use in PA. Some bullet manuf. use the term bond or bonded in their ads. Anyone know what that means? It sounds like it is more than a physical connection, maybe chemical or some other process? Often wondered if anyone knows, or is the process a closely guarded secret, or is it marketing hype?

Its not a closely guarded secret, although different bullet manufacturers might tweak their version to say that its better than the competition.
    It's been a while since I've looked into it, and I hope that someone can correct my short comings, but the bullet has a lead core that is chemically bonded (like sweating copper with solder by the use of flux) to the bullets outer copper shell resulting in a bullet that holds together better than the traditional lead core bullets, and therefore maintain greater weight retention and penetrate deeper. I believe some of the lead cores of different bullets are harder than the traditional cup and core lead bullets as well. As far as the actual process they use, I have no idea how they do it, sorry

Comment

I always figured it for chemically bonded, but probably you're spot on with the hype theory.

Comment

I agree with Krusty... some also crimp the jacket to the core a la the Hornady Interbond.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad