Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nice article by J. Guthrie regarding 1,000 yard shooting in the March issue. Does anyone out there shoot at long range or have d

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice article by J. Guthrie regarding 1,000 yard shooting in the March issue. Does anyone out there shoot at long range or have d

Nice article by J. Guthrie regarding 1,000 yard shooting in the March issue. Does anyone out there shoot at long range or have desires to do so? If so, what are you shooting or what would you like to try? He discusses the .308, 6.5x284 and the .338 Lapua. Any preferences on cartridge?

At this point, we have 200 and 300-yard positions at our club's facilities. In truth, I've never fired at 1,000 yards and haven't fired at 500 since I qualified as a Marine. My cartridge choices for 300 yards are .22-250, 6.5x55mm and .308 Win.

Comment

Getting there. While I refuse to shoot at big game farther than 3-400 yards, I do find it equally thrilling to drill ground hogs at 550 yards, my farthest hit yet on a varmint. I have shot a 8", five shot group on paper with my 300 out to 872 yards. I'm hoping to make a hit on one out to 1000 this year with my 300 Win, but I need a better scope for it... Any suggestions? I have been looking at a Leupold MK4 precision that's a 4x14, also looking hard at a Bushnell 6500 in 2.5x16. Dakota, and Mr Palumbo, do you have any experience with Vortex?

Comment

400 yards is the furthest I've shot, that was at paper. I would love to have a chance to shoot 800-1000 yds some day, but don't have any equipment to do it, nor do I know of a field within a 3 hr drive where I could do it. As I don't believe I could afford to shoot a .338 lapua, I would probably lean towards the .308.

Comment

Ol Krusty,
          Please call me Ed...I'm rarely referred to as Mr. Palumbo...my experience with Vortex scopes is limited to one, a 4-16x with a 50mm objective and a 30mm tube.
          I should explain, in my social circle of shooters, there are a number of gentlemen who love to shoot but find the chore of zeroing their rifles a poor use of their time. Others have provided me with components (and occasionally dies), and asked me to concoct handloads for their rifles. I assemble the loads, testfire and zero, and provide the load data and targets with 5-shot groups as proof of accuracy. Over time, it's interesting how many of these opportunities have developed by word-of-mouth recommendation but, beyond that, how many shooters prefer to delegate the zero-in to someone else and entrust load development to a friend or acquaintance. That said, I do not refuse an opportunity to test or zero any rifle in serviceable condition. Some of the issues I observe or complaints I troubleshoot are often simple issues - a loose trigger guard screw or loose scope base. I digress.
          The 4-16X Vortex I encountered was mounted on a bolt action .243 with medium-heavy contour barrel, tastefully assembled as a coyote rifle. The scope's light transmission from edge to edge was clear and bright. Point of impact did not change with changes in magnification. I was impressed with the optic and the rifle on which it was mounted. This is a verbose and incomplete response to your question, but I feel comfortable in recommending the scope on the basis of three exposures to this rifle and optic.
          All the best,
          Ed

Comment

Ed,
            Would you recommend it over a Elite 6500, or a Leupold?
            I sat for an hour at my local gun shop last week looking through a Vortex HS 4x16,Leupold Mk4 and a Elite 6500. The prices were comparable, as were the glass and tracking, so I thought I would research it out first before buying one or the other. One thing I do like about the Leupold and the Vortex are their warranty's, where I'm cautious about the 6500 if I ever had a problem.
            However, the one thing I do like about the 6500 more than the other two scopes is its traditional look over the tactical scopes. It would look much better on my Rem 700 CDL than the other two, but reliability and function will trump aesthetics any day.

Comment

Dakotaman,
              I know you have a ton of experience in this sort of thing, and I would love to hear your recommendations as well on optics. I have mentioned before that I used Nikon's to learn how to shoot at long range, and they worked well for my budget at the time, but now I feel its time to take a step up in quality and performance. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comment

I would recommend higher magnification for 1000 yard shooting; something in the range of 5-20x40. I shoot a 6.5-20x40 Leupold VX3 and can easily put my cross hair in the center of a 3 inch dot at that range. That scope has shot a .7 inch 3-shot group at 500 meters and a 3.5 inch 5-shot group at 1000 yards with my .300 Dakota.

The Leupolds are clearly the best of those mentioned regarding parallax. This is one of the most important aspects of a long range scope. If you move your eye around behind the scope, you don’t want the perceived point of aim to change. The Leupolds are great in this regard. I suspect I could improve my groups by about .05 inch by using a Nightforce or U.S. Optics scope but am not certain. I still think the main reason that they don’t all go through the same hole is because I am moving… I don’t think it is a scope issue.

I am a fan of the Vortex scopes but have only had hunting and short range shooting experience with them. I really like them for that application because of superior clarity, field of vision, reticle, durability, warranty and accuracy. I would highly recommend the Viper for varmint hunting but have not personally used it for 1000 yard shooting (the HS may be great, I just haven't used it). Their high end scopes are getting great reviews in long range bench rest shooting.

If money is a limitation, you might consider buying a used Leupold online for about half the retail price. Their warranty is excellent and if it were to have a problem, they would repair or replace it for free.

I also use a Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x50 Tactical for long range varmints on my 25-06 Rem 700 Sendero. It is not as accurate as the Leupold but can shoot 2 inch groups at 500 meters just fine. I would expect the 6500 to be similar but haven't shot it. Hope this helps and best of luck!

Comment

Pray-hunt-work… glad to hear of your interest in long range shooting. You might enjoy it and at worst it will make you a better shooter. The .308 has been a very accurate cartridge for 1000 yard target shooting but its hunting is limited to about 400 yards. You might also consider a 6.5x284, an excellent deer and 1000 yard target cartridge. It will be best to hand load if you get into this so the cost of most of these cartridges is pretty similar. The .300 Win Mag is a great choice too.

Comment

DakotaMan- I'm sure I would love long range shooting, I have always had a huge interest in it, but have never taken the time. Hand loading is another field I am lacking in. Although I have done it with friends, I do not yet own the equipment. It makes me very jealous to hear you guys talk about your pet loads, but it is another hobby that I plan to spend time on by the end of the year.

Comment

It's a neat thread, hopefully it jumps over to to the firing line and stays alive longer. I would love to follow it as I move my shooting further out across the pit or field.

Comment

FYI, when you get into long range shooting, I personally feel the biggest difference is the barrel and its chamber alignment. All modern custom barrels are air gauged to verify that they meet high standards and are consequently very accurate. However, when you have a gunsmith cut a chamber imperfectly (like the majority of them are) with a wobbly and worn reamer you often get a slight bullet deformation that knocks them off course as they fly. This is barely noticible at ranges of 100 yards and will yeild .1 MOA groups at that range with a great barrel. However, the impact of the deformation gets exaggerated at 1000 yards. That is why most over-the-counter rifles can't hit a dump truck at 1000 yards, even with the best of bullets. The barrels and their chamber alignment just aren't that good.

If you are serious about long range shooting and want to enter the sport with minimal investment, I'd highly recommend buying a chambered, threaded and crowned barrel from Lothar Walther (LW). They make the U.S. long range sniper barrels for a reason. Get at least a varmint weight barrel and get at least 26 inches to develop velocity (which helps to reduce the effect of atmospheric variables in long range shooting).

I do believe you can get other premium barrels to do as well but you are taking your chances if your gunsmith is cutting the chamber. Gunsmiths often don't like LW because they don't leave much barrelling work for which the gunsmith can be paid.

90% of your long range accuracy will come from the barrel so concentrate on that first. Next get it bedded well and put a good trigger on it. I don't personally believe that you need a $500 stock... as a matter of fact, unless you intend to soak it in a water barrel before you use it, I believe that you can bed it well in a pine 2x4 and still shoot great groups at 1000 yards as long as the barrel and glass/pillar bedding are top notch. The same with the action. A Rem 700 (or better yet a Howa) action will work fine. I use a Mauser style action. Its flat base and integral recoil lugs (like the Howa) are great for solid bedding. The only thing it loses to a Rem 700 on is lock time but with a lighter firing pin, it does fine (as long as you aren't trying to win a world record at 1000 yards).

Comment

Thanks for the excellent advice gentlemen.

Comment

I'll second that, thanks for what I'm sure is top notch advice.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Another New Upper
                              by jhjimbo
                              What kind of powder was your friend using and didn't he ever clean it ?...
                              Today, 01:16 PM
                            • Another New Upper
                              by DakotaMan
                              Milldawg inspired me so I finished my new 6mm AR upper as a Covid time killer project. I had made a 6mm Creedmoor with an 8 twist Bartlein barrel for...
                              Today, 12:54 PM
                            • Reply to Another New Upper
                              by FirstBubba
                              Smooth lookin' AR D'Man!
                              Let us know how it shoots. 😃!
                              Today, 01:12 PM
                            • Reply to 16 Years
                              by jhjimbo
                              I have the mad canadian blocked, all I know is he should get an apt. with a Psychiatrist.
                              He should get a life, shooting geese and pheasant do not...
                              Today, 01:11 PM
                            • 16 Years
                              by jhjimbo
                              So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                              Yesterday, 09:20 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X