Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have anti gun liberals boosted gun sales and put more guns into the hands of americans because of gun ban threats? If this is tr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is probably the dumbest rhetorical question I have read in at least 3 minutes. Basically your asking if the gun ban that doesn't exist works... uhhhhh maybe it does cause... uhhh somebody on TV said it does... uhhhhhh so yeah it doesn't and uhhhhn Obama is a communist.

Comment

I don't get your answer,(talk of gun ban) not gun ban and they have been talking. Please enlighten me!

Comment

To answer your question accurately you have to use an accurate means to measure. My son works for Reuters Financial. He mentioned a group called Vice stocks. They follow stocks in legal gambling, tobacco, alcohol and yes the"Merchants of Death" firearms. To mention two S&W stock has increased 119% and Sturm Ruger 43% in the past year. I wonder if some of our Anti Firearm Politicians took advantage of this boom in these hard times.

Comment

Hey Chuckles, don't forget the northeastern states and California are writing new gun laws all the time. Must be the salt air is affecting the state politicians way of thinking, or it could be their liberals with a agenda.

Comment

Gary, I'm not saying that the efforts to control guns aren't there. Especially in urban areas where legitimate uses for guns are not part of many peoples' lives.
            I just wish that pro gun efforts were calmer and deliberate. It is a basic tenet of politics and many other forms of human interaction that "whoever gets mad loses". Efforts to restrict Constituional rights make people mad and rightly so. But when that emotion comes out in the public forum everyone retreats to respective camps and hurls abuse instead of engaging in the sort of debate that changes minds. Or at least convinces people on the fence, the majority in most cases, to side one way or the other. Right now, in my opinion, the anti-gun lobby is winning that battle. Slogans like "the only thing that stops a bad guy with gun is a good guy with a gun" just don't get much traction with non-gun owning voters. That argument harks back to the MAD doctrines of the Cold War. If the focus were more on the fact that the mental health of our culture is in real decline on many fronts I think pro gun forces would have been able to deflect a lot of the energy focussed on banning particular guns/clips. The ammo and AR buying panic is not helping the cause either.
            I think the NRA in particular missed an opportunity in the days after Newtown to frame the debate around the real issues that drive violence in our society.

Comment

I would have to say well put chuckles. When you're in the public light and the media records your every word. You have to be careful how and what you say. If you remember a few years ago the biggest news was some politician misspelling potato. Why else would the anti gun people invite the "Rock star" that threatened the Presidents life. Or maybe they want to see if that's really a Raccoon stuck up his butt.

Comment

I think the NRA adopted a well-thought-out position in proposing armed guards at the public schools, 30% of which are already so protected.

Comment

Carl - That was (Republican) Vice President Dan Quayle who misspelled potato, and the mainstream media had a field day at his expense.
                  Then they overlooked (Democratic) Vice President Al Gore saying that a leopard doesn't change his stripes.
                  And they also overlooked (Democratic) President Barack Obama saying that he had visited 57 states with one more to go.

Comment

99 So much for fair and equal reporting

Comment

99explorer, I grew up in Baltimore and we had armed police at our schools back in the 80's so I don't find the idea disturbing. Well thought out or not,however, it was a position that was easy prey to arguments based on funding, analogies to MAD, and was too easily refuted by emotional appeals to a view of schools as safe havens vs armed camps. Also the logic of more guns = safer kids does not find much acceptance with fence sitters who don't own guns.
                      It also seems reactive rather than proactive. For me the real questions remain, How do we address the sources of violent acts directed at innocent individuals? How do we create a supportive community and economy that reduce many of the stressors that lead to violence? (Kumbayyaa)
                      I won't argue that having guards at schools might be necessary in the short term but I would rather the discussion be aimed at long term solutions.
                      Thank you Carl and 99explorer, I hope the winter is treating you well.

Comment

chuckles - On the subject of funding for armed guards, the cost would be insignificant compared to the liability exposure when a shooting like Newtown occurs.
                        One proactive idea presently gathering momentum is the suggestion of a nationwide mental health database accessible to police, but the stigma of having your name in there would discourage those most in need of professional help.
                        Still, discussions along those lines could be productive, esp. if they divert attention away from the usual suspects, assault rifles and high-capacity magazines.

Comment

Chuckles nice thing about being old everything goes fast even winter.

Comment

99explorer
                            On WJR (Detroit) this AM the police were looking for a murder suspect that is mentally ill. The police found out he has a CCL. No mention on how he obtained the license.

Comment

99explorer you're probably right about that but sometimes it's tough for districts and cities to pay the immediate costs of adding guards. Also you have to guard every school but only a tiny fraction of them are actually attacked. Real dollars now vs an potential liablity down the road makes for hard choices.
                              I just wish more of the process was focused on proactive solutions like the database you mention. Thinking that banning any one gun or magazine capacity will stop or reduce that type of violence is fuzzy logic at best.
                              Carl I really like this time of year. Winters are long in MN but you can almost feel everything getting ready for a new season.

Comment

Very true chuckles I always enjoyed the seasons. But living on Long Island it's more cold and damp instead of cold and snowy. Very nice Autumns though. Hope all is well and your not shoveling too much.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to The president of Croatia gets it!
                                  by jhjimbo
                                  I hope the virus does not spread in Croatia, that is where 'Below Deck' is filmed. One of few TV shows left where mostly white, good looking girls are...
                                  Today, 12:48 PM
                                • The president of Croatia gets it!
                                  by FirstBubba
                                  "NO MORE VACCINATIONS!"
                                  While our senile, puppet strung, illegally (s)elected president can't even get out of a room without help!...
                                  Yesterday, 01:25 PM
                                • Reply to Southern Humor
                                  by jhjimbo
                                  A car is stopped and officer asks do you know you were speeding?
                                  I was just keeping up with traffic.
                                  There is no traffic
                                  I know, I am...
                                  Today, 11:52 AM
                                • Southern Humor
                                  by jhjimbo
                                  Alabama
                                  Today, 11:12 AM
                                • Reply to Southern Humor
                                  by PigHunter
                                  A police officer pulls over an elderly couple He walks up to the driver's side window and asks the husband for his license and registration. The wife,...
                                  Today, 11:29 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X