Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I read an article in Guns and Ammo about whether an AR platform is as accurate as a bolt action rifle. They came to the conclusi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I read an article in Guns and Ammo about whether an AR platform is as accurate as a bolt action rifle. They came to the conclusi

I read an article in Guns and Ammo about whether an AR platform is as accurate as a bolt action rifle. They came to the conclusion that the AR is just as accurate as the bolt. What do y'all think?

I think mine is pretty accurate with factory ammo. However, the factory trigger seems to be the limiting factor for me. I have never handloaded for it, but it shoots about a 2" group at 100 yards with the milspec aperture sight with me behind the trigger. Less with a 1-4x Leupold mounted. Damn sure shoots minute of song dog with HSM softpoints and Cor-Bon MPGs.

Comment

I propose that "true" accuracy comes from a muzzle loader. The bullet is engraved into the rifling when loaded.
      This may be "old" technology, but as I understand it, with "any" mechanical action, there has to be "slack", regardless of how minute, so the action can operate. Upon firing, the bullet must "leap" from case mouth to rifling, which sets a vibration into motion whichs stays with the bullet to target strike. The muzzle loader doesn't experience that problem.
      As I understand it, today's AR's are "extremely" accurate. How they compare to bolt guns,? I dunno! Don't want to get shot with either one! LOL!

Comment

I'll believe that when the bench rest competitors start using them.

Comment

Sorry, but I also find that hard to believe given the mechanics involved. Not saying ARs aren't accurate or as accurate as needed for just about anything the ordinary person would encounter. But competition shooting? Hmmmmm. I don't think so. I think 99 has a point.

Comment

It all really depends on what gun your using, how comfortable&confident your are with it and the ammo you are using.

Comment

The AR's shoot in competition at Camp Perry to 600yds.
              As far as compared to a bolt action - i do not think they will achieve that degree of accuracy.

Comment

An AR with a heavy, free floated barrel, tweeked trigger, and a good scope can be darn accurate. Do the same to a bolt action, and I just think the bolt will be a little more accurate.

Comment

All very good comments. But if you remember the original conception of the rifle was to kill little people up close. Yes it can be accurate to 600 yards. But it's not lethal past 200 yards. The only thing that has changed there are presently about a dozen rounds that will fit through the mag well. This has improved range and lethality. But out of the box it is what it is.

Comment

An AR-15 not lethal past 200 yards? Huber, you have been breathing too many exhaust fumes in NY. Your statement qualifies you as an armchair expert with zero practical field experience. Pfooey!

Comment

Benchrest shooters use bolt actions so I'd say that the most accurate are bolt actions although ARs can be very accurate as jhjimbo pointed out they are very successful at Camp Perry. I'm not sure if the new Tube Guns can use an auto-loading action but they resemble ARs and are very accurate.

Comment

Wam would you shoot a Deer at say 400 yards with a 223?

Comment

Mine is sub moa with 69gr Foouchi and Black Hills best groups 0.375" @100 yards and 2.25" @400 yards. but I have a Double Star 20" Super Match with Wilson Match barrel too. My 700 Varmint in .204 ruger can shoot inside those groups all day long though. Gonna be hard to improve onna good bolt action

Comment

Carl
                            When the 5.56 was being developed the concept was to wound and incapacitate the enemy so as to tie up one or two others who would then help the wounded. In the early '60 they did many studies on pigs to determine the lethality of the round. The 5.56 was chosen partly for it's tumbling characteristic. Plus the early M-16 was considered a spray and pray weapon before the 3 shot burst, so the lighter weight round allowed the soldier to carry more rounds.I think at the time the army was looking for a 300 or 400 effective range weapon.

Comment

With all respect WAM I didn't think so. Granted all my youthful hunting has been in NY State. Home to a state park the size of Vermont. A long shot was 80 yards and I don't care for semi auto's. Presently I live on an Island that is 120 miles long and 70 miles out in the Atlantic ocean. So finding exhaust fumes are not easy to find. Strip Bass and Tuna are easier. Again with all respect living in a Microcosm can make you myopic. So you might want to add travel to your bucket list. Your horizons will be broadened and you'll meet some really good people.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Cheaper Than Dirt
                                by PigHunter
                                I understand the reason someone would pick the heavier bullets. However, heavier bullets cause greater recoil and will affect recovery time and may result...
                                Today, 02:16 PM
                              • Cheaper Than Dirt
                                by jhjimbo
                                Lots of ammo back in stock, but the prices are right up there to....
                                Today, 12:21 PM
                              • Reply to 300 yard .22lr
                                by fitch270
                                I wouldn’t spend that much on a 10/22 but I might on a bolt gun. For that kind of money I expect some style to go with it, of the Cooper or Annie level....
                                Today, 01:40 PM
                              • 300 yard .22lr
                                by jhjimbo
                                Would you spend $900 for a Ruger 10/22 to shoot 300yds ? A little over 1" at 100 and a little 0ver 6" at 300yds. Lapua and SK ammo used....
                                Today, 11:28 AM
                              • Reply to Cheaper Than Dirt
                                by jhjimbo
                                I like the Remington Golden Saber Black Belt 147gr 9mm (not +P) and the 180gr in .40. Check out the statistics. Some LEO friends always suggest the heavy...
                                Today, 01:28 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X