Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What new rifle in what caliber do you want to purchase next and for what purpose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honker, I would guess that there are people that frequent this site whose experiences far exceed yours both in depth and breadth. Rarely do they inform us of this unless asked directly.

Choosing that tact may serve you better than the "several lifetimes" path.

Additionally, if you think that I am jealous simply because you have the good fortune to spend so much time outdoors hunting and such, then you are most assuredly correct.

Comment

I would like to have a Sako 85 Deluxe in 270WSM. I would probably use it for deer hunting, I already have deer rifles but I would just like to have a deluxe Sako in fancy wood.

Comment

I don't really need one, but if the government doesn't want me to own an AR then I want an AR-10 in .308. If not that I really have no idea! I need a new shotgun before I get another rifle. I may get a .50 caliber muzzle loader in the near future though

Comment

I have enough .22s, but since rifle hunting for deer has opened up for me in my state, and since you asked; I'd love a 308 or 30-06 in a quality (left-handed) bolt action. I've had a Rem 700adl years ago that was a very accurate gun. I might go that route again, though I'll need two rifles(for now) for my boy and me. I'm not wedded to Remington, but they seem to have a great selection for the south-paw.

Comment

Amflyer, the second use of "several lifetimes" in that context was purely a literary device. And not a great one at that. Humility? Well, in that respect I'm probably an enigma. In reality not nearly as conceited as you might think. As far as my life's "accomplishments" go, truth be told I have been very lucky ... or very, very unlucky. I guess a life of extremes tends to make one extreme. I'll say hello to Plato for you. :-)

Comment

i have a thing for .22 and that will be the next gun. I agree with Honker. 2 or 3 is all you need, or should have to be really proficient. And when it is time to hunt, the guns and ammo I depend on are the same ones I use over and over; 870 Rem shot gun and the old ’06.

But it is a enigma for me. I am by nature a tinkerer. And seem to believe, “if it ain’t broke, you aren’t trying hard enough”. I love nothing better then trying a new gun, getting the scope or sights and the (so far) factory ammo tuned just right. Then sitting it in the back of the safe, until another one catches my eye and I start the process all over again. I suspect from the entries here I am not alone.

I should sell them at that point or look to trade them in, but so far have a real hard time doing that. Some have not shot in 20 years.

Comment

I am still trying to purchase a Model 660 Remington or 600 Mohawk in .222. To what purpose, I do not know, but I want one!

Comment

An ERShaw MKVII in .338 Federal. I will be using it for bear in MN and maybe elk in CO at some point.

Comment

There are 2 guns I want. A 30-30 and a handgun. The handgun will probably be .40 cal S&W. The 30-30 will probably be a Marlin 336.

Comment

just ordered a saiga 12, should be in by the end of the week. Gonna set it up as my BA hog gun. Do I need it, not really, do I really really really want it? you bet!!

Comment

Hoping to acquire a Glock 36 in the foreseeable future and I've been thinking about a .32 or .36 caliber flintlock for squirrels. How's that for unusual?

Comment

007;

I met a man in the forest a few years ago squirrel hunting who used a self made Pennsylvania long rifle flintlock in patch an round ball (.32 cal i believe). We had a great conversation. Told me he actually gets quite a few. I have a patch and round ball flint lock for an occasional muzzleloader dear hunt. Lots of fun.

For all those guys who thing a super high tech, super scoped, semi-automatic, black molded modern AR hunting rifle is fun (no I am not starting that old argument), you ain’t lived until you peer through an enormous cloud of smoke to see where your bullet went. High tech isn’t anywhere near as much fun as the low tech.

Comment

Rockysquirrel, I haven't carried a shoulder fired shotgun for bushytails in years, also can't remember the last time I took the .22 rifle out. My squirrel hunting is usually limited to my T/C Contender with either the .410 or .22 magnum barrel in place. I've got a .50 caliber T/C Hawken flintlock and I'm really starting to think about a little brother for it for those early fall mornings.

Comment

I'm aware that I have more of life in my rearview mirror than in my windshield, so any firearms I purchase are acquired with my son in mind. Rather than purchase new rifles, which seems an exercise in extravagance at this point, I simply want to rebarrel or rebuild rifles I currently own. To that end, I have at least four rifles I'd like to redesign, and I'm primarily a varminter so I'll see a few more .22 centerfire rifles in my future. Reaching into the past (and looking ahead to the future), I'd like another .225 Win., a .204 Ruger, and I must replace the tired barrel on my .22-250. I get a lot of mileage out of my .22 varmint-busters, and I genuinely enjoy them.

Comment

Ed, do you currently own a .225 or are you saying you want one? Great varmint round that never got it's due. I have a Savage 340V that used to strike terror into the local groundhog population when I was a teen, it accounted for quite a pile of them over the years.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad