Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Im thinking about getting a 17hmr. What do you guys who have one think of it? And what can/do you guys hunt with it? Thanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im thinking about getting a 17hmr. What do you guys who have one think of it? And what can/do you guys hunt with it? Thanks

Im thinking about getting a 17hmr. What do you guys who have one think of it? And what can/do you guys hunt with it? Thanks

This is a fine little round, one everyone should have! They are very accurate and flat shooting.Good for small game,groundhogs,foxes and everything in between. They shoot very light bullets 17 & 20grs. so don't over shoot the rounds range. Winchester is also coming out with the 17 Win super mag rimfire and I am waiting to see how well this one shoots.

Comment

I Shoot a 17/Hornet, But the 17/Hrm will take most small Game and Fox,Bobcat,Coyotes,P/dogs with in Range of 75Yd+/- As for the Caliber it good! Now what Rifle and Scope makes all the Differance on hit or miss.

Comment

coyotes. nice small hole and deadly

Comment

I have a Savage and I really like it. I do not hunt with it though, it is more of a killing gun for varmint control. It tends to vaporize small animals so if you are planning to eat them there are better choices. You will not regret your purchase, they are fun guns to shoot and typically very accurate.
          I am looking forward to the new Winchester although I wish they had come up with a different name. As WAM has pointed out, Super Magnum Rimfire is oxymoronic.

Comment

I have a CZ 17HMR that I killed over 450 pararie dogs with last year in Montana and Wyoming. It was deadly ou to 225 yards. Bck here in WV I haven't found a use for it yet. Our coyotes weigh over 40 pounds and I use my .22 Hornet or .223 for them. I also use my .22 Hornet for turkeys because I don't think the .17 is big enough for them. I haven't had mine out of the gun safe since coming out of the pararie dog fields.

Comment

i have a savage 93r17 and can get one inch groups at 100 yards. i'm planning on useing it for yotes, but i will have to shoot them in the head and stay within 150yards

Comment

Thanks for the input. I was looking at a savage. But it needs to be ordered if its even in stock. They had a marlin arriving in a few days. Anyone know about marlin? Or savage? What woukd u do. Basically they are the same price

Comment

The designation Winchester Super Magnum Rimfire is based on Winchester(designer of round) Super(very large or powerful) Magnum (coming from latin word magnus,used first in wine bottles with more volume) ie bigger case more powder volume! rimfire (not centerfire) See the designation isn't oxymoronic only accurate no pun intended!

Comment

The designation Winchester Super Magnum Rimfire is based on Winchester(designer of round) Super(very large or powerful) Magnum (coming from latin word magnus,used first in wine bottles with more volume) ie bigger case more powder volume! rimfire (not centerfire) See the designation isn't oxymoronic only accurate no pun intended!

Comment

diplomato/19: JMO~~ Weight it out till the 17/WSMag comes out in the Spring and see What's the Price will be Its better to have "More then Less" Ammo is about $4.00 More then 17/Hrm a Box. Just saying.

Note Marlin and Savage are Excellent Picks.

Comment

Pmacc60, while the cartidge may be "Super" and "Magnum" in comparison to other rimfires in the pantheon of available calibers and cartridges it is still a .17cal rimfire. Neither particularly large nor powerful.
                        That being said I am looking forward to its release and I anticipate owning one if ammo and rifle prices are not too crazy. I only wish they could have worked Zombie into the name somehow
                        Happy shooting!

Comment

I have a Henry and the performance in a breeze is something to be desired. I wish they would make a heavier bullet than the 20. The 17 gets blown all over the place.

Comment

Dang it and I was almost to 150,000 pts.

Comment

Thanks RockySquirrel, you must have been typing at the same time.
                              Cheers!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad