Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you use nickel plated/washed brass? What are the advantages or disadvantages?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you use nickel plated/washed brass? What are the advantages or disadvantages?

Do you use nickel plated/washed brass? What are the advantages or disadvantages?

I have used nickel plated brass recycled from Federal Premium ammo with good success. I found a .35 Whelen case this past October that had been lying on the ground in Colorado since I shot an elk with it in 2007. Wiped it off and still looks new. Added it to the collection. I also have a batch of .257 Roberts nickel plated brass. I think the main appeal is appearance and perhaps it feeds better.

Not sure what "washed" brass is?

Comment

I have used nickel plated brass recycled from Federal Premium ammo with good success. I found a .35 Whelen case this past October that had been lying on the ground in Colorado since I shot an elk with it in 2007. Wiped it off and still looks new. Added it to the collection. I also have a batch of .257 Roberts nickel plated brass. I think the main appeal is appearance and perhaps it feeds better.

Not sure what "washed" brass is?

Comment

I like nickel plated brass because it dosen't seem to get as dirty and I think it feeds smoother. It does look better but that is minor.

Comment

I favor nickel-plated brass in straight wall handgun cartridges because, after a brief trip through the tumbler, they pass easily through my tungsten carbide sizing dies. I tumble bottleneck rifle cartridges until they're relatively polished and use a spray case lube so they will be resized without difficulty. Nickel-plated cases normally clean readily in the tumbler. In my opinion, they offer no accuracy advantage and they're not a necessity. A friend hunts in a very humid climate and expresses a preference for nickel because his rifle cases can show tarnish from his fingerprints in normal handling, and nickel resists that. I live in NW Oregon, so humidity is not a major issue. I can't speak to dangerous game cartridges
          ; the .30-'06 is the largest I need or use. Personally, I don't have a preference for nickel unless I'm using a leather belt with cartridge loops; then nickel is an advantage. Most of my rifles are varminters, and the cartridges are cycled differently, fired more frequently, stored in plastic boxes of 50-100. Whether all brass or nickel-plated, I try to purchase in quantity when opportunity permits. Nickel doesn't offer a practical or accuracy advantage, neither does it pose any problem or obstacle for the rifle cartridges I use. I don't have any data (yet) to support whether nickeled cases provide longer reloading life, but I will consider that.

Comment

I like nickel plated cases too, I think the primary advantage is resistance to dirt and tarnish. I also like to use the plated cases if I'm shooting different bullet types or weights, I'll use plated for one bullet weight or type and unplated for the other.

Comment

I don't have a lot of nickel plated cases, but they seem to reload as well as plain old brass. They do clean up real nice, but I don't spend the extra money for them.

Comment

I only use them for looks. They look kind of nice and in some rifles I use them to distinguish my "hunting" loads". That way when I hunt, I know the cartidges I am using are intended for hunting and are not one of the hundreds of test rounds with which I am tinkering.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad