Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why did the 204 Ruger have such great success when the 17's in centerfire have fallen by the wayside?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why did the 204 Ruger have such great success when the 17's in centerfire have fallen by the wayside?

Why did the 204 Ruger have such great success when the 17's in centerfire have fallen by the wayside?

The success of a new cartridge like this is driven by intrinsic merit in terms of the performance it provides, the niche that it fills, and market appeal. Since the .204 Ruger builds on the success of the parent cartridge and appeals to hand loaders, these are points in its favor. While the cartridge hasn't taken the market by storm, it's safe say that many who've tried it are favorably impressed with it, and older rifles that have been gathering dust are being rebarreled. Recoil is negligible; your target often remains in yor scope's field of view so you can witness the git or miss and be your own spotter. The bullet devastates small game. It's fun to hand load and economical to shoot. I think the .204 Ruger is here to stay, and one of my rifles is being rebarreled to underscore my belief in it. I was initially skeptical, but it's a fine choice for varmints!

Comment

If you have read my posts on my buddy killing coyotes he uses a .204 and it is devastating. He has killed over 20 coyotes with his and the distances have been from 295 yards to 435 yards. He has a setup in his garage on sandbags and looks out on over 75 acres of his hayfields and pasture fields. He used road kill deer for bait. He used to use a 7MM Mag. but he says the .204 is a much better round because of the recoil and accuracy. He sent his caliber, fps, bullet weight to Leupold and they sent him a turrent for his scope and that is the setup he uses. The .204 is becoming extremely popular in our area. I am considering one myself.

Comment

the 17 remington demise came from poor bullet construction. The bullets at the time did not always expand and some would shoot straight through animals producing minor wounds. My 17 performs great with the bullets of today specifically the vmax. But once a cartridge gets a bad reputation it is doomed to obscurity. There really isn't much difference between the 17 and 204 it is much the same story as the 6mm remington and the 243 win.

Comment

hhack, where did you come up with that answer? Big difference between the .17 rem and .204 ruger. Mainly bullet weight. The 6mm /.224 rem are the same cartridge but had different rifling twist with the 6mm being faster it stabilized heavier bullets so it was better all round cartridge then the .244. The .244 was designed to be a varmint cartridge. The .243 win slipped in with the faster twist rate before remington did and it gained popularity fast becasue it became useful as a duel cartridge. The 6mm however and .243 are two totally different cartridges entirely and are not interchangable.The 6mm has a 1-9 twist rate and the .243 has a 1-10 making the bullet selection wider in the 6mm. At 100 yards very little difference in accuracy,but past 300 yards the 6mm comes to life in a big way. Stepout to 1000 yards and the 243 just can't muster enough energy to get there. That said. The .17 is making a come back in the form of the .17 fireball which is a great cartridge out to around 300 yards. The 17 rem could hold it's own out to around 400 yards. But it was lack of proper bullet weights that hurt it. Today the handloader has a bunch to work with.

Comment

I have and love both a 17HMR and .204 Ruger. For me it depends on the game I am targeting. If you are talking about the .17 Remington it is because the .204 has a ton of bonuses like cheaper ammo, longer barrel life, less fowling, less cleaning is required, better ballistic coefficient, and better bullet choice. But the .17 HMR has its advantages in my book too. My .17 HMR is the gun of choice for squirrels, prairie dogs, rabbits and other small bodied animals. While I prefer my .204 Ruger for coyotes, Javilina, and bobcats. The cost in shooting is also a big difference too because I enjoy target shooting. I can have a couple hours of plinking with the 17 for the same as a few min with the .204. Both rounds are vary accurate, flat shooting and show great followings. It all depends on ones applications I feel that there are a lot less people who need a flat shooting hard hitting gun for small bodied animals (almost everyones first rifle a .22 is great for small animals and there is really no need to upgrade just a great want) than there are for a great predator/smaller big game rifle. That is why i feel the .17 has a building following while the .204 has a solid following. There are just less applications because the .204 can be used for all game i have listed while the 17 is great for just smaller game. Heck I had friends tell me i was nuts when i bought my first .204 in 2004. I have a feeling that the .17 rounds will become more popular as time passes.

Comment

Why Mr. Biden do you want to jump to make laws taking rights away from law abiding citizens while not fighting to keep two auto plants in your home state of Delaware one showing up in Mexico two years later.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to How do you fly ?
                by PigHunter
                Like most everyone else, I buy a scope to feel a need. Only a few times have I taken advantage of a sale.

The Leupold VX3i on my .308 is...
                Today, 06:44 PM
              • How do you fly ?
                by jhjimbo
                Do you buy a scope when it is on deep discount, then look for the perfect rifle to put it on ? Or, you have the rifle and it needs glass, justkeep looking...
                Today, 04:18 PM
              • Reply to Handgun Laser Sights
                by PigHunter
                Bubba, I've been curious too. This is our first and so far I like it during dry fire. We're going to see how it is at the range in a few days....
                Today, 06:35 PM
              • Handgun Laser Sights
                by PigHunter
                On 7/19, Milldawg mentioned he'd ordered a laser sight for his wife's Ruger LCP 380 and they were on sale at MidwayUSA. Well, that inspired me to order...
                08-03-2020, 11:20 AM
              • Reply to Handgun Laser Sights
                by PigHunter
                Good question. The old style Ruger LC9 has a very long trigger pull that's similar to that of a double action only revolver. I think it would be unlikely...
                Today, 06:32 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X