Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

George Zimmermans trial has been set to start in a few months. The defense fun is running low. It is estimated his defense wil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    Before you "kick in" look at who is representing Zimmerman and who is actually asking for contributions. Do some homework before committing any $$$! This sounds very much like a scam to me! I cannot imagine that some very good law firm has not agreed to take on something as high profile and surely precedent-setting for free. Don't be a sucker and let someone prey on your passions for gun issues unnecessarily. Look what's happening with all this ammo hoarding foolishness!

Leave a comment:

• Carl Huber
    replied
    I believe that there is one point that everyone is missing. This is not your usual self defense shooting. Nor is it cut and dry. The out come of this trial may have far reaching political and legal ramifications. I am sure that there are factions urging the District Attorney to play their first string. Good legal defense is not cheap and the lawyer has to portray being a true believer in the media. Both sides in Florida have something to gain or loose. This is why you see the rush to kick in.

Leave a comment:

• Safado
    replied
    10jolsen,
    I don't want to re-open that wound. Dave Petzal stirred a hornet's nest when he accused Zimmerman of being 'stupid while armed'. So I won't go there again, but if you're big enough to carry concealed and take a life you should pay for your own defense or get a public defender.

Leave a comment:

• 1ojolsen
    replied
    Safado! Yes indeed. Why is no one talking about the kids right to defend himself? If some guy I didn't know came up to me as I was walking home from a candy purchase and tried to detain me I'd likely show some resistance.

Leave a comment:

• Safado
    replied
    If he's man enough to take a life he should man up and pay his own defense.

Leave a comment:

• Carl Huber
    replied
    99 I looked into it further and you are correct. If Zimmerman is found innocent he is immune to a civil suit. The Twin Lake Homeowners Association might not be so lucky. Since Zimmerman held himself out as as their representative they in turn will carry the weight.

Leave a comment:

• 99explorer
    replied
    The Castle Doctrine creates an absolute presumption that a person who breaks into someone's home is up to no damned good, and provides the occupant with immunity from prosecution (and civil actions)for blowing him away, without his having to prove that he was actually in reasonable fear of imminent grievous bodily harm, etc. So far, so good.
    Then the statute goes on to give that same protection to anyone else, wherever they have "a right to be," provided they CAN AND DO prove that they were in reasonable fear, etc.
    That part of the law may be a step too far, because it also gives the street shooter a second bite at the apple in defending his actions.
    First, the state has to prove that he did not act in self defense (the burden of proof is on the state).
    Then, the state has to prove the murder charge in a separate jury trial.
    If the shooter prevails in the first hearing, it's all over, and he cannot be sued in a civil action either.
    These laws were not in effect at the time of the O.J. Simpson murders.

Leave a comment:

• Carl Huber
    replied
    99 I'm not familiar with a claim of immunity. True if Zimmerman wins a civil case his expenses will be paid by the Plaintiffs. All I can think of is the OJ trial and was judged criminally innocent. But later had to pay a civil penalty.

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    The object of a civil suit is to recover damages. The guy doesn't have a pot to pee in so what would be the point of initiating a civil suit if he doesn't have the ability to pay damages anyway? OJ Simpson he ain't.

Leave a comment:

• 99explorer
    replied
    Carl - If the claim of immunity prevails, it also covers civil suits as well, and the plaintiff would be liable for all of Zimmerman's expenses when the case is dismissed.
    I just checked, and the immunity hearing will be a non-jury proceeding. I think it would take a very courageous judge to rule in Zimmerman's favor because that would end the criminal prosecution on the spot.

Leave a comment:

• Carl Huber
    replied
    All good posts but one thing has not been mentioned. Even if Zimmerman is found innocent he still will be hit with a Civil Suit. The difference between winning and loosing can be one vote. Mr. Zimmerman in years to come before this has ended might think it was better to take the beating or not get out of the car.

Leave a comment:

• 99explorer
    replied
    Greenhead - Exactly so.
    If the Self-Defense Immunity Hearing determines that Zimmerman's use of deadly force was justified under the ordinary laws governing self defense, there will be no trial on the issue of murder or homicide because of his immunity.
    But I don't know whether this hearing will be before a judge or a jury. This case might be a first.

Leave a comment:

• Greenhead
    replied
    99explorer, I agree that it will all turn on the findings of fact, and the jury will have to be very specific. In Florida, (and possibly other states) one can be the initial aggressor and still make a legitimate claim of self defense, depending on the reaction. Say for instance, I start a fist fight with you - I am the initial aggressor and cannot claim self defense for punching you. If during the fight, however, you get the upper hand and I try to retreat, but you pursue me, I am no longer the initial aggressor and could be justified in pulling my gun.

A just verdict will turn on the exact details of the fight, and I can't even begin to imagine how those will come out with only one witness alive to testify.

I have no idea if the man deserves to be punished or not, and sure wouldn't want to be on that jury.

Leave a comment:

• 99explorer
    replied
    jhjimbo - You got that right. People on this forum who have opinions about Zimmerman's guilt or innocence have reached their verdict based on news reports.
    Before this is over, Zimmerman may prefer to be carried by six.

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    I stopped having an opinion when early on the major news outlet was found to have doctored the 911 tape and had to admit it had done so and had to play the full tape. The problem is he has been tried in the media to such a degree, how can he get a fair trial. I don't know even if the trial was moved to Duluth if he can get a fair trial.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad