Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In large rifle primers, which would be considered superior, Winchester or CCI?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In large rifle primers, which would be considered superior, Winchester or CCI?

In large rifle primers, which would be considered superior, Winchester or CCI?

When CCI first came out, I luved 'em! I've never had problems with CCI, but they developed a reputation of being "hard". CCI is no longer CCI, they're built by Federal. Ferderal has a long and checkered past. Many assure me that today's Federal isn't the dud-making, nasty burning Alcan powder ammo sellers of the past.
    I prefer Winchester. If the CCI's aren't "hard", I'm pretty sure they're "relatively" equal.
    ...but I'd go Winchester! LOL!

Comment

Primer quality and performance is comparable for all the manufacturers as far as i can tell. I use mostly CCI but also have Winchester, Remington and use Federal 215's for the .300 WbyMag.
      Some are match primers that i would use in varmint calibers. Small and large pistol are also mostly CCI and have never had a problem with any of them.

Comment

We had lots of problems with CCI primers when I was a kid and young man. Haven't used them since one of the shotgun primers nearly cost me my life back in the late 70s. It hung fire and discharged just as I was ejecting it. Rifle primers regularly failed to dent even after repeated firings. They were junk. Federal is the parent company but they're still manufactured at the old plant. I have no idea if quality has improved any since then. I switched entirely to Federal and Winchester and never had an issue thereafter in either rifle, shotgun, or pistol reloads.

Comment

Bubba, CCI Speer own Federal. Never had a problem with CCI but I normaly use Federal 210 and 215. I use Remington 9 1/2 mag also.

Comment

country road,
            I use Winchester LR and LRM primers along with Remington 9 1/2M. Federal Gold Medal Match GM215M are good, too. I always use magnum primers with large loads of ball powder. I had mixed results with CCI primers. Once when I was getting high pressure signs with a load, I switched back to a CCI primer and the problem went away. Told me those primers were not so hot.

Comment

id
              Thanks.
              I knew the two "usta" be separate entities but had "come together"
              I still have some of the yellow Speer Lawman ammo boxes!

Comment

I used CCI primers 20 years ago but switched to Federal primers then and have never had a problem with them. I was building up my stock here a couple weeks ago a purchased 800 Winchester primers which was all that was in my town to be had.

Comment

Thanks, guys, I bought 500 CCIs because they were in stock at BPS. Already have Winchesters, which I've been using with good results and will stick with them. I'll put the CCIs on the back shelf for the zombie apocalypse.

Comment

cr

Up to you amigo, but think I'd reverse the roles. If you feel the CCI's are the least bit suspect, use 'em on targets and paper. Save the good stuff for those "no second chance" situations!

Comment

It is a bit of a Chevy/Ford question to me. I've used CCIs for the majority of my shooting and after 75,000 rounds or so with them, I haven't had a problem. I've used all of them. For me, consistency in the load is the key and you can get that with all these primers. I do normally use bench rest primers though so they are a little more consistent but I can't say that I can really tell the difference from regular hunting primers. I achieve single digit velocity spreads pretty consistently with them too as well as some .1 MOA groups if I do my part. If I were missing a deer, I don't think I'd blame the primer.

Comment

DakotaMan
                        Sounds like you are doing some excellent shooting. How do you dispense your powder? Do you separate your bullets by .1gr and weigh your cases? Just curious. I have gotten some good results like .280Rem 5 shots in one hole measured .380. But i don't think i can get single digit chronograph results.

Comment

At present, what ever primers you are fortunate enough to find, or previously own, are the best you will get. Thank you very much, Mr. Capon-in-Chief!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad