Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

i was thinking of getting an inline muzzle loader for next year but i have no experience with them and honestly would not know

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i was thinking of getting an inline muzzle loader for next year but i have no experience with them and honestly would not know

i was thinking of getting an inline muzzle loader for next year but i have no experience with them and honestly would not know what to look for in one. i would love any suggestions about looking for a gun and powders/accessories

I love My Thompson Center .50 cal. inline. You don't have to spend a fortune, but you want a good barrel ( all T/C I think) and I like the 209 primer that most newer models use. Mine is just a "workhorse" omega nothing fancy- picked it up at walmart on clearance a few years back. Very accurate w/250 grain sabot and 3 pyrodex pellets. I've taken a few nice deer with it. Good luck, and clean whatever you get really well!!!

Comment

thanks i will definitely check it out. college has pretty much dried up my bank account so im not looking for anything too expensive

Comment

Thompson Center 50 cal. is my choice also,I like the Hornady sst-ml 250gr lock and load sabots and 3 Hodgdon triple 7 pellets. Its an easy and accurate set up and a devastating killer! You will not feel under gunned.

Comment

CVA works well for me, avoid anything no matter how cheap that has disk in the name.

Comment

I got a CVA wolf for pretty cheap. The gun shoots great, and is extremely easy to clean. I use the powerbelt 245 grain copper bullets, with 100 grains of the Hodgens Triples Seven pellets.

Comment

I have a couple CVA Optimas that have given good service. I use Barnes 300gr MZ Expander bullets in a MMP HP24 sabot that seems to fit my barrel the best. For powder I use Blackhorn 209 which is a loose powder that does not leave a crud ring so no need to swab between shots at the range or in the field. Remington 209 primers.
              Good luck in your quest. Muzzleloading is a lot like archery in that finding an accurate load involves tweaking one thing at a time till you find the best combo for your gun.
              T/C makes a nice gun but I have never been able to justify the extra couple hundred bucks.

Comment

I have a CVA Optima. It replaced a T/C Omega and I couldn't be happier. It shoots great. I shot Powerbelt 295 grain copper hollowpoints and killed a couple deer but switched to Hornady Flextip bullets last year and killed a deer with them. I use 2 50 grain Triple 7 pellets. I have found that at the range ( 100 yards) that I shoot I don't need 3 pellets. I usw Winchester 209 primers. Most of the time where you purchase your muzzleloader they will have starter kits which have what you need to get you started shooting your muzzleloader. Most important is when you buy your muzzleloader it will come with an owner's manual, read it and understand it before you do any shooting. If you are really on limited funds you can buy the CVA Wolf and have a decent entry rifle that will do the job for you.

Comment

I've been more than happy with my Omega with a Weaver K-4 on it. I use 100 gr of Pyrodex and a 295 gr Shockwave bullet. The one thing I would tell you about any muzzle loader is that they require more care than a modern firearm when cleaning them. I would read up on that aspect before buying your rifle.

Comment

The NEF .50cal is a nice blackpowder gun. They also come in a combo with a 12ga. barrel. I shoot 295 gr power belt over 100gr triple 7 pellets. The break open design is easy to load and clean.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad