Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

im considering getting a rifle after i turn 18. i like the versatility (ability to mount a decent sight in the proper location)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• im considering getting a rifle after i turn 18. i like the versatility (ability to mount a decent sight in the proper location)

im considering getting a rifle after i turn 18. i like the versatility (ability to mount a decent sight in the proper location) of AR-15/10 weapons but i like the durability of AKs. i also like the 7.62 round. how can i get the versatility, durability, and the round in one package? my friend tried putting a scope on his AK but to do so we had to take off the iron sight and do a little grinding to modify the block to get it to fit and it still doesn't work properly. anyone have any suggestions?

I would look for a gas-piston AR-10 in 308 for the purpose that you are describing. That way you get the relaiblity of an AK with the feel of an AR in a round that you could use for larger game.

Comment

Ok, would it be able to take a beating like an AK? i will take care my investment of course, but i know that AKs can fire even with a cup of sand in the action. Would it be simpler to get a black AK and get Picatinny rail extensions for it?

Comment

Before we can give you the best advice, you should tell us:
        -what do you want it for? (Hunting, defense, plinking, etc.)
        -if hunting, what's the game?
        -what's your firearms history? (Other than your friend's experiences) Is this your first gun?
        -what's your budget?
        -what's your budget for future care and feeding of it?
        -etc.

Comment

If you have the money for it check out Alexander Arms they may something you like there

Comment

Get a lever action

Comment

piston driven AR in .308, good call upland. and what do you define as a beating? if they are good enough for 50+ years of military service then it should be able to handle whatever you intend to put it through...

Comment

With the gas piston AR it should be as relaiable as an an AK. That was the point when they made them, and they already come with pictactinny rail for mounting optics.

Comment

Here's a consideration.

Look at Ruger's "Mini-Thirty". It's 7.62x39.
                  It's semi auto. It's plenty tough. It has an "integral" scope base and comes with rings.
                  Extended cap mags are available after market.

Give one a look.

Comment

Upland4 hit it in the first response. I highly recommend that you consider the accuracy of the rifle and you will enjoy it much more. The AR-10 can be as accurate as a bolt rifle. It is also a platform that is easy to upgrade over time with parts of any kind from a very large aftermarket of high quality components.

This allows you to change cartridges, add accessories, etc. to keep the rifle as effective as you want it to be during your entire life. I would not be too concerned with shooting your investment under a pile of sand. This isn't really as important as having a highly accurate and reliable rifle with supreme adaptability to be whatever you desire for the rest of your life.

Comment

i will use it for pretty much anything and everything, i enjoy target shooting, hunting, it would be good for self defense. i hunt deer and want to get into other game such as coyote and elk. i have a muzzle loader for deer but that is as far as ownership goes for me. budget can be adjusted but im not looking to spend more then 1k initially. i can always upgrade later. i will take a look at what bubba and storm suggested.

Comment

as for experience i have handled a few weapons and i have done a lot of research. i dont want to make a foolish purchase as guns aren't cheap.

Comment

I think Firstbubba has the right idea. The Ruger Mini -Thirty is is reliable, easy to mount a scope on it, and it won't break the bank.

Comment

what about the Stag Arms Model 3? it costs the same as the ruger mini thirty.

Comment

actually my boss just agreed to sell me a lower receiver so i can simply build one.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad