Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where can I find information about a savage 99? Treestand and WAM made me start looking and I can't find much info. Also, if I d

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where can I find information about a savage 99? Treestand and WAM made me start looking and I can't find much info. Also, if I d

Where can I find information about a savage 99? Treestand and WAM made me start looking and I can't find much info. Also, if I do decide to get one, what caliber should I get it in? Does it come in .308?

.308 is as large a caliber as you'll find in a Model 99. Other popular calibers are .300 Savage,.243, and 22-250.

Comment

Sorry..OHonker The Savage 99. came in 358Win/Magnum, I have one and I think WAM has one also.
      The Savage Calibers are:25-35,30-30,303/Sav,32-40,38-55
      22Hi-Power.250/3000,300Sav,243W,308W,358W/Mag.

Comment

Chewylouis: If your looking for a fast handling/No scope..Brushgun...Win/Mod 94/AE in 7x30 Waters its a Factory Hot Roded 30-30 necked down to a 7mmx30 or a Marlin 308/MX "308 Marlin Express" or the 338 Marlin Express in Marlin 338MXLR, ALL are Leaver Guns.
        The last Sav/99 New was in 1987.
        Best of Luck..Tree

Comment

Treestand, what is a 358Win/Magnum? I do know that the model 99 was produced in a 358 Win.(necked up .308 Win)and the largest bore was the old 375 Winchester. The only 358 magnum I know is the Norma. I don't think the 99 was made in that.

Comment

Chewylouie
            The older 99's were real nice - way ahead of their time in design. I had a 99RS made in the '50's in .300 savage. It had the internal rotary magazine and a quick detachable scope mount. If you find an old one now i think they will be very pricy. The later versions had a detachable magazine. A friend had a takedown model in 250-3000, excellent deer cartridge.
            Money wise a new marlin 336 is a great value. With the Hornady Leverloution ammo the old 30-30 is now a honest 200yd gun. Pointed plastic tip bullets. I bought one with a Marlin 3-9 scope out the door for $375. Shoots 1" groups.

Comment

As I've stated before; I'm no rifleman as many of you all are. However I've always loved the 99, and except for the cheap economy ones, I've found them all fast, rugged and accurate. Despite much begging and pleading from me, my father (he loves dealing/trading more than hunting now) traded his mod 99 (in .308) for the savage hog hunter. Chewie, get a good one and hang on to it. If you are a lefty you'll love it even more.

Comment

I think some of the better Model 99s came with the rotary magazine and a round counter.

Comment

By any model 99 you can find. My only 39 caliber gun any more is a 99 in 300 savage.

Comment

PAShooter is correct, the Model 99 could never withstand magnum pressures and the action wasn't long enough for most of them anyway. WAM has a 35 Whelen which is very similar to 358 Win but built on a longer 30-06 case instead of a .308. You will note that I said those four cartridges are the most "popular." I haven't seen a 22 Hi-Power in forty years. I did know that Model 99 was offered in .358 Winchester but have never seen one. Sad that it never caught on because I think the 358 Win was a much underrated cartridge. I would have to say it's probably the only caliber offered in Model 99 that I would ever have considered worthy of being bear medicine.

Comment

*30 cal- I shouldn't type before i have coffee.

Comment

Very good info above. This rifle is a classic so you might find deals on the online auction sites. The best cartridge for you will depend on your intended use. I think of the 99 as a quick handling deer rifle for use in thick timber. You can carry it easily through the thickest of trash and you can raise it quickly in the middle of an alder patch. If that is your intent, the .358 Win chambering will serve you well. It will even be effective in elk timbers. I personally trust modern 200g or 250g .358 bullets to penetrate small trees on the way to their intended target. I have shot deer accurately at 100 yards after penetrating three inch limbs on the way. It also has lots of thump in putting them down fast.

If you don't reload, the .308 is a very versatile cartridge and you can buy them everywhere. If you reload, the nostalgic .300 Savage is virtually the same thing with some classic sentiment.

If you are intending to shoot more open timber and plink targets and varmints, the .250/3000 Savage will be lots of fun. It can move a 90g Barnes TSX at 3100 fps making it much easier to hit running deer or coyotes. Inexpensive Hornady 100g bullets are great for deer and move almost as fast. It also has very light recoil in that rifle making it fun to shoot.

As far as info... just Google it. Best of luck!

Comment

A good ol nostalgic rifle deserves to be chambered in a good ol nostalgic cartridge. Give the 300 Savage or the 250 Savage a close look. The cartridges are getting a little hard to come by but equal the performance of the 308 or 243. If you want something that is easier to find ammo for they do have them in 308 and 243.

Comment

WAM does have a .35 Whelen Rem M-700 AND a Model 99F chambered in .358 Winchester and one in .300 Savage. Google Savage 99 and you will find a couple of sites dedicated to 99 collectors. Ay close range, the .358 Win will take out most anything on the continent.

Comment

Model 99 in a .300 Savage is a great rifle! Brought my first buck down with one!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad