Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it cheaper to buy a .243 WIN Rifle or to build one? I don't care about how much work it takes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DakotaMan
    replied
    You can buy a good used rifle for what a gunsmith will charge to install a barrel or do any stock work.Hhack's prices look better than most to me so you might have to spend even more. cddn has a nice Howa 1500 for $330 and there is no way you will build such an accurate rifle for that. Building a rifle is still the way to go if you are interested in special chamberings or competitive accuracy. A used Savage is something to consider because you can easily install the barrel yourself.

Leave a comment:

replied
    doessn't get mu cheaper then a used savage.

Leave a comment:

• hhack
    replied
    I have built a quite few rifles and had some built for me so I will run you through the cheapest estimate I can. Donor action-(used mauser already converted to a sporter)$250- barrel short chambered in 243 win Adams&Bennet or brownells-$100-Boyds laminated stock $70-barrel vise &action wrench rental $75 blue and stock finish $50 reamer rental $40, timney trigger $50. total of $635 and that would be you doing all the work yourself. You can buy alot of nice rifles in that price range that will probably be more accurate than what you just built.

Leave a comment:

• gator fan 2017
    replied
    thank you

Leave a comment:

• Brock Holloway
    replied
    some walmarts have the ruger american rifle for around
    $375.00 or you could get a remington m700 for around $430.

Leave a comment:

• Treestand
    replied
    gatorFan2007: look for a New England Handy-Rifle in 243Win-Single Shot Rifle,New Under $375.00..Used $225.00
    or Rossi, Single Shot Rifle, $238.00(New) $170.00(Used)...Check out Gun Shows or Pawn Shops We have A Ton of Pawn Shops in Central Fla. You will need your Mom or Dad to buy it, and Go a "Background Check" at a $5.00 Cost.....Safe Shopping...Good Luck

Leave a comment:

• Treestand
    replied
    Cheaper then buying one!Is for some one giving you one!

Leave a comment:

• Greenhead
    replied
    With all of the good, bargain priced rifles on the market now, I can't imagine being able to build one cheaper. I would look at those, or the used rack.

Leave a comment:

• Is it cheaper to buy a .243 WIN Rifle or to build one? I don't care about how much work it takes.

Is it cheaper to buy a .243 WIN Rifle or to build one? I don't care about how much work it takes.

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad