Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a brand of AR to purchase? Also I am not sure to buy one in 5.56 or .308. Any help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone have a suggestion for a brand of AR to purchase? Also I am not sure to buy one in 5.56 or .308. Any help?

Does anyone have a suggestion for a brand of AR to purchase? Also I am not sure to buy one in 5.56 or .308. Any help?

If you can find some Rock River Arms are TOPS for deer Hunting the 308Win...Varmint 5.56/Rem or 204/Ruger

Comment

Comment

well i guess it depends on your motives here. if you just want to have one, get your basic 5.56. if your interested in long range shooting or hunting big game get a .308. these guns are real hard to find, you will be very hard pressed to see one on a rack in a gun store. only ones i have seen have been chambered in .22 LR, and nobody wants one of those. ammo and magazines are pretty scarce as well.

Comment

Lots of luck finding one in any caliber.

Comment

bushmaster has some nice .308 that i have seen. but you will want to get on a waiting list as soon as posible.

Comment

Depends on what you want to do with it. .308 has a lot more thump to it, but I've dropped 200 lb pigs with headshots at 100-150 yards with a .223 (5.56 mm).

Comment

Good luck! It depends on usage... the .223 is very nice and very economical to shoot. It is fast and accurate. It is great for game up to deer size (as long as your state allows that caliber) and is tough to beat for home defense, especially if your neighbors don't want your bullets zinging through their house. I do a lot of target shooting with mine and will burn up a couple hundred rounds shooting house fly targets at 100-200 yards. I also love it for p-dogs out to 500 yards.

The .308 is better for deer hunting and brush busting but won't actually kill any more deer. Most I have seen are far less accurate than the .223s.

DPMS, Rock River, Bushmaster are great. My Bushmaster Varminter with 24" heavy barrel is extremely accurate (I shot a fox last week at 220 yards where I could only see about 1 square inch of his body over his mound... no problem).

Comment

It all depends on what you want it for. I've been lusting after a dpms 308 for 2 years and now I guess that's how long the waiting list is.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to When will the COVID-19 pandemic end?
                    by rock rat
                    The pandemic will end when active cases drop to a low enough point that there is no longer community spread. Virus won't be gone, but the pandemic will...
                    Today, 07:23 AM
                  • When will the COVID-19 pandemic end?
                    by FirstBubba
                    November 4, 2020
                    08-13-2020, 11:25 PM
                  • Reply to Crickets !!
                    by bowhunter75richard
                    Rock, I agree with some of your points, however I read nothing in your words that gave a sound approach to ‘getting’ our diverse population on the...
                    Today, 07:01 AM
                  • Crickets !!
                    by bowhunter75richard
                    Some time ago, I asked our liberal/progressive ‘friends’ on the site to give just one item on the D’s agenda that would benefit the American people...
                    08-13-2020, 05:27 PM
                  • Reply to Crickets !!
                    by Pmacc60
                    To compare the society’s of China , Singapore and Taiwan to the US is pointless! Completely different cultures, it is darn near impossible to have a...
                    Today, 06:14 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X