Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the shelf life of ammo sealed in a tuna can? 7.62x39 from Czechoslovakia.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the shelf life of ammo sealed in a tuna can? 7.62x39 from Czechoslovakia.

What is the shelf life of ammo sealed in a tuna can? 7.62x39 from Czechoslovakia.

a lot less than you think, the quality control at the time of canning is the key. How clean was the ammo at the time of canning? are they replacing the oxygen in the can with inert gasses? this is very important. If their canning procedures are sloppy, you will have a can of corroded metal and soggy powder,not worth warm spit.

Comment

I have found and used Ammo from WWII 30-06 and 45Acp to work...Some Ammo was found from the Spanish American war
      7x57,45/70 still working,

Comment

I wouldn't think it would be too aweful long given the oils in tuna will corrode non ferrous metals over a period of time,JOKE. As treestand points out there are many rounds of sealed ammo that still work.As long as the container has not been compromised in any way it should out last the owner until used. Any outside corrosion though would e suspect and never shoot ammo with rust or corrosion on the casing anywhere. better safe then sorry.

Comment

If any oil comes into contact with the primers, there is a good chance that it will penetrate and render the primers inert. If it were mine, I'd toss it.

Comment

I'm "presuming" your use of the term "tuna can", you don't actually mean a "tuna" can but sealed into a "can" as if it were "tuna".
            As long as the exterior container hasn't been compromised, the ammo should be just fine. I don't think I'd open one until I was ready to shoot it.

Comment

The tins are inside wood boxes and look real clean. One is from the '60's the other '80's.

Comment

The oldest ammunition I have ever used was 25 year old 12 gauge shells that were kept in a cardboard box in the garage and some that were found in the attic and they work just fine.
                Knife Freak

Comment

Then the only problem should be ammo "quality", and, since you don't know how good the ammo is? I'd scrub down whatever gun I shot it in. Just in case it has "corrosive" primers.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad