Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What bullet weight do you .308 shooters use? I've used the 165 grain Hornady GMX (good results) and this past season I used the

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What bullet weight do you .308 shooters use? I've used the 165 grain Hornady GMX (good results) and this past season I used the

What bullet weight do you .308 shooters use? I've used the 165 grain Hornady GMX (good results) and this past season I used the 165 grain SST (which I wasn't too pleased with). I'm going to start reloading and I've heard that a 150 grain may get me better results. Any opinions on bullet brands and weights that I should try out?! Any help would be much appreciated!

Should of mentioned that I'm hunting the mighty whitetail!

Comment

165 or 150 grain nosler accubond. Deadly accurate and great expansion.

Comment

My favorite deer load in .308 before the proliferation of Barnes Triple Shock bullets was the 165 Speer Grand Slam when that was a factory load and 180 grain Nosler Partitions for elk in the timber.

Comment

Lots of good choices for deer. 165gr nosler, hornady, remingtron, basic sp or spbt. Premium bullets for the bigger game.

Comment

I'm testing some 165 grain Hornady Interlocks in mine along with some 150 grain Hornady Interlocks for accuracy. I was going to try some 165 Hornady SST's. What didn't you like about the SST's ?

Comment

My old Remington 788 and my son's Ruger 77 both like Hornady 150 grain Interlocks ahead of a healthy charge of IMR 4064.

Comment

I like the 150 grain Hornady SST. I get great results on whitetail. I have used the Speer Gran Slam in 165 grain, I experienced too much meat damage, now these are 20 year old tips, maybe they are different now.

Comment

I use Hornady's 7mm/08 139Gr SSt-Lm on White Tales in S.Ga and N.Fla. with great Success on 200+Lb Deer.
                  What's wrong with your SST Ammo, Bad bullet Placement, too longer a shot, Real Heavy cover, in 28Yr of using this Cal. I have never had a deer move then 2Feet when Hit, in the Neck,Lungs or chest.

Comment

Well, maybe it was me. But I made goods shot on several deer that should of put them down but 2 of them I shot managed to run 150-200 yards before going down and the holes looked pretty small. On one of the deer a shot was questionable while the other shot was well placed. Maybe I shouldn't judge by only shooting 3 deer with it! I did drop a stud at 190 yards with the SST's though. I'll pick up another box of SST's to reload. Anybody ever used the Remington Accutip's? I was thinking about picking up a box!

Comment

I loaded some 165 SST's in .308 a couple of years ago for a guy and he told me the same thing that you did. He thought they ran too far. I just got rid of a 25-06 for that reason I don't want another instance of the same. I do know that the Hornady Interlocks are a very good bullet and perform great on whitetails.

Comment

Accutips are Hornady SST's with a different color tip made for Remington, so it is the same pig with different lipstick....

Comment

Of the three loads I have tried so far the Remington CoreLokt 180gr did pretty well on paper during the sight in. The 180gr Federal Prem. Barnes MRX killed a bear at short range quite handily but shot 2 1/2 groups at 100. The Barnes Vortx with 150gr TTSX has been the most accurate on paper but I have not used it one deer yet. I am hoping the 165/168gr Barnes will shoot well and if it does I will just use that for deer and elk. I have not been able to get any due to the current panic.

Comment

I'd lean towards a 150 gr. for deer unless your rifle likes something else particularlly well.

Comment

WAM, that's what I kinda thought when I first looked at them but i wasn't too sure. I'll try some Barnes bullets and see how they work out!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad