Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best ammo for a savage 93r17 17hmr. Horandy, federal, cci, or winchester. Accuracy and price are the major things.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the best ammo for a savage 93r17 17hmr. Horandy, federal, cci, or winchester. Accuracy and price are the major things.

What is the best ammo for a savage 93r17 17hmr. Horandy, federal, cci, or winchester. Accuracy and price are the major things.

I killed over 500 pararie dogs while hunting in Montana and Wyoming 2 summers ago and most of them fell to my CZ 17HMR shooting Hornady 17 grain V Max ammo. It was devastating on pararie dogs. I killed some of them at close to 250 yards. I would hold almost 2 or 3 feet feet high and 2 or 3 feet left or right for the wind and walk the bullets into the pararie dog. Realistic dead on range was 150 yards.

Comment

Mine will shoot the Federal and CCI to the same point of aim and with no detectable difference in accuracy with both the 17 and 20gr bullets. I have not tried the Winchester or other brands.
      ps I think they are all made by the same company supposedly to slightly different specs but my gun cannot tell.

Comment

I shoot 17 grain V Max Hornady ammo. Great price for what you get. If you compare the hornady .17 ammo to a box of hornady .22 hornet ammo...the difference is amazing. The range of the V Max is exceptionally great also

Comment

Ammo for your gun is like your choice of mate. What works best for your combination. be your mate big,small or somewhere in between. There is no grab a load and go.You have to find the correct load for your rifle. I have found that my guns perfer 20gr power points and the new tnt & Vmax in 20 grs. But hate 17gr spitfires all together.Your's may like 17gr soft points or V-Max or even the spitfires. They are all pretty close in price range so grab a few boxes and head to the range. Maybe a friend has a few different brands and gr weight you could try like I did. In the long run though,all of my friends that shoot the .17hmr use the 20 gr bullets

Comment

I agree with deerhunterrick you have to do it yourself for each gun has preferences or what it will shoot. I had a savage for a while and it shot hornady 17 gr vmax the best but it just wasn't good enough for me so I sold it and went back to a CZ 22 mag

Comment

i just did a test today and found that horandy 17grain v-max shoot the best.

Comment

As per my specific .17 HMR 93 series, my serial number is very low and have had unparalleled accuracy with CCI 17grain JHP, that took down my first deer at 100 yards, taking out the heart and both lungs. The deer never knew what had happened and dropped not 15 yards from point of impact. The Hornady 20grain XTP dropped a 200lb plus at 160 yards. After having to drill and use a lead-free solder on the CCI 16grain Green(couldn't hit a pie plate at 25 yards with this round, and this round was shot out of 3 different brand name rifles) I took a 180lb doe at 65 yards and she was neck shot and died almost instantly. The 20grain soft points and FMJ by CCI shoot the same groups at 200 yards and shot placement is imperative when trying to take big game. I have had only one deer get away from me and that is because I didn't wait that golden hour before tracking.

I have thousands of rounds and unless you put in the range time, do not try to make these types of shots because you will only injure the game and defeats the purpose of what we true hunters consider as a clean and humane, instant kill.

Here is a picture of a CCI 17JHP bullet and one that was recovered from a neck shot deer from 130 yards. I used a penny to show just how much the bullet mushroomed out at that distance.
                Attached Files

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad