Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking to buy a handgun when I become of age in a little while and with growing up in shotgun territory I have little knowledge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to buy a handgun when I become of age in a little while and with growing up in shotgun territory I have little knowledge

Looking to buy a handgun when I become of age in a little while and with growing up in shotgun territory I have little knowledge about rifles/ammunition/etc. I want it to be big enough to hunt whitetail with it. If anybody has any tips as to what I should be looking for or any recommendations I'd appreciate it.

If you intend to hunt whitetail deer with it, I would suggest a .44 Magnum revolver, but be warned, the recoil and muzzle blast is rather severe.
    You would do well to test-fire one before you buy.

Comment

I would suggest .357. I have not fired one myself (I'm like you, in shotgun country), but many have said .357 has alot of recoil.

Comment

I would have to say .357 magnum my younger cousin shot a doe last season with my uncle's .357 magnum did the job well and he weighs about 100 lbs soaking wet if you practice often enough and learn the correct way to handle the firearm the recoil it has is completely manageable it really isn't that bad. Although a test fire is never a bad idea.

Comment

Nothing less than a .357 with a .41 magnum being much better. If you're thinking purely hunting, the Ruger Blackhawk is hard to beat.

Comment

Ditto~007 +1
            The 41/Magnum will do every thing that the 44/Magnum will DO...With-out the Muzzle Blast & Recoil, with the 175Gr Win/Silver tip ammo.
            I have taken many Deer from my T-Stand with in 35'with my Ruger Flat-top 5"Bbl. when they walk under or on the side of my stand.

Comment

Thanks Treestand, I mentioned the .41 as a nice compromise, I'm not convinced a .357 is the right tool and the beginner is not going to like a .44. Best..............

Comment

Hopefully handguns will still be legal to own when you come of age to purchase one. A hunting handgun or defense against the big alpha predators should, and in my state must, produce 500 FP of energy at 100 yds. The handguns that can do that start at 10mm/.41 mag, and go up from there. I personally carry a .44 mag.

Comment

Make sure you check your state's laws governing the use of handguns for deer hunting before you purchase one. Some states have restrictions about caliber barrel length etc. I use a Thompson Center contender single shot with 4 different calibers for the states I hunt. 44 mag 7x30 waters, 30-30 win. and 308 win

Comment

Your first handgun should be a .22. You can't afford enough centerfire ammo to learn to shoot a handgun.

Comment

Yeah- .357 to .44 mag. though you could get a single shot T/c or similar in 30/30 or even .308

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Need advice on choice of 20 gauge semi auto
                        by crm3006
                        From honk the phony- " even though Browning conveniently glues an instruction diagram inside each fore end. Yeah, right.

I'm still waiting
                        Today, 03:11 PM
                      • Need advice on choice of 20 gauge semi auto
                        by derek7
                        Hi everyone,

I have one question regarding how to choose the right shotgun for myself. I want a 20 gauge semi auto with interchangeable barrel...
                        08-11-2020, 09:03 AM
                      • Reply to 16 Years
                        by PigHunter
                        Thanks. Yep, I try to not be too lazy, was last in the gym on Wednesday lifting weights and walking on a treadmill. Another thing, I refuse to pay for...
                        Today, 02:36 PM
                      • 16 Years
                        by jhjimbo
                        So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                        08-12-2020, 09:20 PM
                      • Reply to 16 Years
                        by Ontario Honker Hunter
                        Pighunter, I would hardly say your working life has been sedentary. Probably as many job shifts and almost as much education in maybe the same amount...
                        Today, 02:22 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X