Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm buying my first shotgun. It won't be used for hunting, but for clays/skeet (which I've not tried) and possibly home defense.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm buying my first shotgun. It won't be used for hunting, but for clays/skeet (which I've not tried) and possibly home defense.

I'm buying my first shotgun. It won't be used for hunting, but for clays/skeet (which I've not tried) and possibly home defense. I've looked at Mossberg 500 (good price), Rem 870, Benelli Supernova and the Mossberg 930. I'm leaning towards the Benelli or the 930 autoloader (they are the same price). Any suggestions or recommendations?

your first shotgun? if you're unexperienced with shotguns, i wouldn't go with an autoloader first. if i was you i would go with the 870. but since you're using it for self defense and not hunting like i would, it's kind of your own personal preference on this one. if i wanted a self defense shotgun, i'd sure as hell go with a pump. pumping a shotgun is about all it'd take to scare anyone away. the sound is well known and would leave a mark in ur stomach from just hearing it if you were the target. just my two cents. oh, and as for self defense ammo. http://dkgtrading.com/centurion/cenbuck.html check that out.

Comment

I personally have the Benelli pump 12 gauge shooting 3 1/2 inch mags. I absoloutely love it!!! It has the the senthietic stock with the black barrel. I use it mostly for hunting and you can eject the shells pretty quick for a pump. Can't remember extactly what I paid for it but it was worth every penny.

Comment

The Rem 870 is a great gun. I have the Super mag, and it's never given me any trouble.

Comment

I generally wouldn't want to use a pump for skeet but I would recommend a pump for your first shotgun. If you can master the skeet range with a pump you'll be good to go with anything in the future.

Comment

that is a hard order to fill. i agree with sharkfin for your first shotgun go with a pump, and like Reid said just the sound of you racking the pump back will scare the hell out of anyone, as far as skeet buy a shotgun with interchangeable chokes like the benelli, all this is up to you that is just my 2 cants.

Comment

Bear in mind that irrational dopehead freaks often consider the sound of a pumpgun to be indicative of intent to shoot. If you don't they will, directly at the sound of the pump.

Comment

Since it's going to be your first shotgun, you don't want anything too expensive. But just remember, you get what you pay for.

Comment

My first shotgun was an autoloader, and I mastered it quickly and still love it. So I'd say get whatever you prefer and can afford. You'll likely shoot ALOT more trap than you will intruders, so the "shuck-shuck" of a pump wouldn't be my deciding factor. Besides, when I shuck a shell into an autoloader, it makes a rather menacing sound too. Not a darn thing wrong w/ pumps though, I've got a Mossberg 500 and an 870 too! Good luck.

Comment

An 870 pump will be fine for home defense (I prefer them over an auto for the reliability vs the sound although it might help at times) and for trap. Although you can shoot skeet with it, it will be a little heavy and if you intend to shoot skeet a lot, you might look like a nerd next to all those fancy over/unders on the skeet range. It pretty much comes down to how much you want to pay and how much you want to show off versus just get the job done. Sometimes we like to show off more than shoot and that is when the big bucks come in. By the way, I use a .45 ACP for home defense. I can make lots of scary noise and miss several times... plus I discovered that those shotguns don't turn corners and pop around stair bannisters as easily.

Comment

Its amazing what a skilled hand can do with a .45 ACP especially in close quarters. I prefer my 1911 for the same reasons cited by Dak. Left in proper condition level it is also safe in case a kid or untrained person finds it. Additionally you can store the loaded magazine separate but near the pistol. I have no preference for a magazine shotgun for home defense as either will work since the gun is usually clean which may not be the case for a jarhead M-500 in the field.

Comment

Benellis are far ahead of the rest of the World in single-barrel repeaters. I have owned Winchesters, 870's, and Mossbergs. There is no comparison for user friendliness.

Comment

Agreed with Sharkfin and + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

870 pump for sure!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad