Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So tell me. Where do you guys draw the line? Assault type weapons, fully automatic weapons, grenades, RPG's? What is infringemen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any law abiding citizen should be able to own anything they want to go through the hassle to obtain the Class 3 licenses and pay the outrageous cost to own. If anything is safely and legally possessed why should anyone else care and for that matter why should it be any of their business. Why should the law abiding honest citizens be penalized because our mental health system keeps letting violent crazy people fall through the cracks. If these hand wringers want to ban something, how about banning the keeping of violent crazy sociopaths in their parent's basements.

Comment

Ncarl: It's all good. Simple misunderstanding.
      (Before I continue, I would like to say that I am, by no means saying anything in an antagonistic, argumentative way. I am simply adding information and food for thought. If you disagree with me [I am sure many will] than please, lets talk about it in a civil manner.)

First of all, I am coming from a little bit of a different perspective because since the age of 4, I have lived in countries where guns were not allowed. (one of which there was completely no guns, not even for law enforcement.) Because of this, I am aware that life can continue, and continue happily without guns.
      Do not get me wrong, I am a full supporter of the 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States of America. However, my identity is not wrapped up in it.

Second: Getting a permit or license, in my mind, is not giving up any of my personal privileges. Because of the principals that America was built on, the "Feds" are the people. We elect them, they are us. Since this is at least true in theory, in essence we are not asking the "Feds" for permission. Instead, we are asking our fellow law abiding citizens if it would be ok with them, simply because it is respectful. (because what we do actually does affect them)

Third: I guess I would have to agree with Chewylouie. The issue goes to practicality. For what is the average, law abiding citizen going to be using a fully automatic weapon, grenade, or RPG?

Gary Devine: I agree with you in referring to 'them' as 'firearms'. (I believe and I could be wrong) An Assault Weapon is a firearm that was invented and has been produced for the express reason of combat or tactile situations. This would include fully automatic rifles, many types (but not all) semi-autos, some types of shotguns, and RPG.
      Again, I get the irritation because such lingo can cause confusion to a crowd that is not educated on guns and their uses, but in a crowd that is, I believe such lingo actually is more specific.

Comment

Dave- They'd prefer it if you called it their underground apartment, hate to trigger some sort of emotional reaction. Especially as they just had a long day at the gun range and they're tired....

Comment

I caught a news article about a shooting in NM. Seems a teenager shot his entire family and then wanted to go some place else and shoot more people. The weapon he used was reported to be a .22 rifle. So now assault .22's will be on every ones list ?? Where does this madness stop?

Comment

JMO~ Leave things as is! We have more GUN Laws on the Books then they can handle NOW!

Comment

jhjimbo,
              The teen you refer to killed his Mother and siblings with the 22...Dad with an AR.
              When interviewed at the police station he made clear his intentions of carrying all the ammunition he could for the AR and randomly shooting strangers until the police responded where he hoped to die in an exchange of fire with the police.
              Great...just what the public needed to hear. (not)

Comment

I've said it before and I'll say it again!

"GIVE 'EM NOTHING!"

First was the full auto "tax"!
                Next was the GCA!
                Then background checks!
                Each time the gun grabbers say, "It's all we need! Really! "
                Then, we get, "Oh! We need to do this now. No big deal! "
                There are butt loads of laws on the books now!

That's it! No more!

America's "unorganized" militia continues to arm itself!

Comment

Quinton, I guess we can chalk this one up as a difference in fundamentals. You see I'm conservative with a little streak of libertarianism in there. That bit of libertarian tells me that what I own or do is nobody else's business, not the governments, not my neighbors, nobody's. I don't think the government knows best. Infact I think they are increadably out of touch with the real world. Anyway, it sounds like you are the exact opposite. Correct me if im wrong but your alright with giving up a little bit of freedom for temporary saftey. You may be alright with a bigger government perhaps because you lived in countrys with a bigger central government. This is fine, that's your opinion. I guess what I'm saying is we can agree to disagree because I think this goes deeper than guns.

Comment

I wonder if there is a phrase for "slippery slope" in Lakota Sioux?

Comment

I am an older NY resident. In the 50s and 60s kids in school legally carried knives in their pockets and sometimes kept their shotguns in their lockers to go hunting after school. We weren't a nation and state of murderers then. Why the fear today? Gov Cuomo, Mario, not Andrew wanted to limit shotguns to 6 rnds max. Today ordinary things are felonies. Why do you limit your own freedom for a benifit that doesn't materialize? Are there fewer knifings now that carrying a Barlow is a felony? Are there fewer shootings now that you can't bring your shotgun to school? Disarming the honorable law abiding empowers the dishonorable cowardly criminal. The US Constitution recognizes this concpt, why is it so difficult for so many to understand. Never let a crisus go to waste, indeed!

Comment

Amen lab

Comment

I am no lawyer, but I doubt that the forcing of citizens to dispose of property (magazines that hold more than 7 rounds) that was legal previously when obtained will pass the constitutional protection of ex post facto. The legislature can make it illegal to obtain an item from some date forward, but cannot go back in time to penalize those who obtained that item when it was legal. The term "pre-ban magazines" comes to mind.

Comment

Sourdough

I think that "slippery slope" comes about when I sell a "pre-ban" mag to an individual "post-ban"! Right?

Comment

The gun control issue is a popularity contest at this point. Whether any laws are approved by Congress or not, the gun control groups have succeeded by swaying public opinion against AR style weapons. Do not think for a second that the gun control groups are not aware the AR debate is also one which divides the ranks of gunowners. If gunowners lose this fight it will be because they split ranks on this issue. The NRA understands this and is why they will never and should never break rank from loyal gunowners.

Amflyer, to answer your question.... Wounded Knee.

Comment

It is a fact that far more people are killed by cars than by guns. Yet, if some guy has a collection of sports cars that were designed and engineered to go way faster than any posted speed limit, it is considered way cool. But, if another guy wants a collection of firearms that were designed and engineered to shoot fast there is all manner of gnashing of teeth and wailing and a rush to legislate and ban freedoms for the greater good. The gun collector is no more using his firearms illegally or unsafely than the sports car enthusiast is racing his Lamborgini through the school zone. Yet, the gun collector is seen as a threat to humanity while the sports car buff is just cool. Freedom is freedom and must be cherished however it is expressed.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Treason or a traitor?
                                  by 99explorer
                                  Trump is not a politician.
                                  Not anymore.
                                  He is in the panhandling business.
                                  Today, 09:38 AM
                                • Treason or a traitor?
                                  by FirstBubba
                                  Gen. Mark A. Milley, in the last days of the Trump administration, told his Chinese counterpart that he would call the Chinese ahead of time if Trump...
                                  09-14-2021, 03:51 PM
                                • Reply to TGIF; Off the Big Screen
                                  by PigHunter
                                  Here's another PigHuntress has been singing on karaoke nights. From the movie Thunderdome, "We Don't Need Another Hero" by Tina Turner
                                  Today, 09:28 AM
                                • TGIF; Off the Big Screen
                                  by fitch270
                                  So I mentioned this last week, we’ve posted a few songs off soundtracks before but I think there’s loads of material left to cover. Not only are there...
                                  Yesterday, 11:01 PM
                                • Reply to TGIF; Off the Big Screen
                                  by PigHunter
                                  From Top Gun, "Take My Breath Away" by Berlin .... PigHuntress sang this on stage a couple of weeks ago

Today, 09:25 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X