Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So tell me. Where do you guys draw the line? Assault type weapons, fully automatic weapons, grenades, RPG's? What is infringemen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So tell me. Where do you guys draw the line? Assault type weapons, fully automatic weapons, grenades, RPG's? What is infringemen

So tell me. Where do you guys draw the line? Assault type weapons, fully automatic weapons, grenades, RPG's? What is infringement? Where is the line?

For me:
    For a law abiding citizen to own and operate without need for specific license. (concealed weapons aside) the line is drawn at anything under a fully automatic.
    However, I think there should be licenses and permits, albeit expensive ones, that should allow a law abiding citizen to at least operate any reasonable weapon.

Comment

My problem is if you give them an inch they will try to take a mile. Please don't start an argument and rain -1s' on me. I was asked for my opinion and don't feel like taking part in a pissing match.

Comment

Ncarl: I am not wanting to start an argument, or rain -1s on you. I would like a respectable, honourable discussion. I you will, I can open a thread on Message Boards.

I understand what you are saying with giving them and inch, they take a mile. However, is there a point at which that stops or becomes unpractical, or even unsafe?

Comment

*if you will

Comment

Quinton, haha no no no. Complete misunderstanding. I ment to say I just wanted to keep this one civil. After reading WAMs thread earlier today I just wanted to state my opinion without starting a debate with anybody. It wasn't directed towards you.

Comment

There are certain words I dislike using.
              WEAPONS, couldn't they be called firearms instead?
              ASSAULT WEAPONS, couldn't we say some semi automatic guns?
              Jolsen, I not picking on you, many others on this website use the same Lingo. I think we all should use softer words. There are three groups out there, the Gun Haters, the Gun Lovers and the neutral people in the middle. Those people in middle get scared when they hear those ugly words, that were drafted by the media and anti gun nuts. We as Sportsmen and gun owners should try to reframe from using them.

Comment

I respect your opinion but this is my problem with permits and licenses. You are essentially having to ask the federal government permission to exercise your second amendment rights. You don't have to ask the Feds for permission to speak out against the way they run the country on this blog. Why should it be any different?

Comment

Just food for thought.

Comment

Keynes once said,"When the final result is expected to be a compromise, it is often prudent to start from an extreme position."
                    I would draw the line where we now stand, offering nothing.
                    That is the position of the other side. They come only to take, offering nothing.

Comment

I'll agree with Quinton. It's not that there isn't a place for full auto's, but I guess I don't think my neighbor needs one without a permit, or just give him a silencer, something that might let me sleep through the night if he had a full auto. Anything under that, is fine by me. To have fear of an inanimate object seems very very simple to me. The gun isn't the agressor, and the sportsman down the road certainly isn't the agressor. The only sane reason to have a fear of a gun is when it is in the hands of the insane, it's that black and white. When our Nation adresses the real problem, I will not oppose them. Until then, the gun grabbers can pound sand. They ain't gettin mine!!

Comment

Machine Guns, RPG's, Howitzers, Explosives, Etcetera are all classified as Destructive Devices and can only be possessed, manufactured or developed by specifically licensed individuals and companies. They are very heavily regulated as they should be. The problem arises with look alike military weapons IE the AR rifles. Being cosmetically similar but are no different from any other civilian firearm. There in lies the problem when you can outlaw on looks and not function it is a very slippery slope. The 1932 law on Machine Guns had just that problem. Rather than ban them and getting into a 2nd Amendment fight. They applied a $200 Tax. You still did not need a licence to own one. You just needed the Feds to Grant you a Tax Stamp.

Comment

I thought "assault" weapons were full-auto rifles. The first assault rifle was.
                          I think that grenades and grenade launchers are over kill. What are you going to use them for? Home defense?! I don't think so!
                          Full-auto, maybe. But something should be done, kinda like concealed carry.

Comment

The freedom to own firearms, ammo and high capacity magazines that we bought legally inside this country. They are now our personal property, and when the government wants to outlaw, ban or take the item back, then where I draw the line.

Comment

The "permit" argument is just language.
                              Just like a concealed carry permit...all the legislation need say is "shall issue" instead of we citizens "asking" the Fed for permission to own.
                              The Thompson was limited in 1934, nobody's crying the "give em an inch" over that weapon system. (and yeah I know they can be full autos.
                              I don't have a problem with sane folks owning whatever they want...but we could lose this one if we continue to make the argument that we're drawing the line on the AR.
                              I'd gladly volunteer myself for a stringent background check before purchase instead of a possible all out ban.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad