Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My dad is looking for a good grouse gun. He has a 16 ga stevens that he loves, but he wants something a little lighter. He prefe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My dad is looking for a good grouse gun. He has a 16 ga stevens that he loves, but he wants something a little lighter. He prefe

My dad is looking for a good grouse gun. He has a 16 ga stevens that he loves, but he wants something a little lighter. He prefers side by side, but an over-under work work. Price range < 1000\. He likes double-triggers, 24 in barrel, no hi-vis sights. Any suggestions?

CZ-USA I've got a 20 ga s/s that I love. It was under $1000 and it comes with double trigers if thats what you want?

Comment

I presume the Stevens 16 gauge is a single shot? If he's looking for a lighter gun, I think he probably has about the lightest thing going. Certainly a gun with two barrels is not going to be lighter! A short barrel is also going to be hard on the ears (except perhaps .410 or 28 gauge). Personally, I'd never shoot a bird gun with a barrel shorter than 26" (preferably 28").

Comment

I must have looked at the wrong double. The 16 is a Ranger double. My apologies. When he said he wants lighter, he meant on the shoulder, sorry. I'm not actually sure how much lighter a 20 will get, but if it means the 16 gets passed down, i'll support the purchase. He has also been complaining about finding shells. He had to give up waterfowl with it because bismuth is outrageously priced. We won't shoot steel through it. He is looking into the CZ-USA. I don't know if you've been grouse hunting or not, but carrying a 28" barrel through cover isn't ideal, and your lucky to go through ten shells a day. More than likly he'll settle with a 26", but would rather have 24".

Comment

I think a twenty gauge in the same model, if you can find it, would be built on a lighter frame and have less recoil. Sixteen gauge shotgun are usually built on 12 gauge frames.
          I hunted grouse for years with a 20 gauge side-by-side with 26" barrels choked Improved Cylinder & Modified.
          Very satisfactory.

Comment

Actually, most of the 16 gauges I am familiar with are built on 20 gauge frames. For example, if you are looking for a butt stock for a Model 12 (and I am), it will be designated as a 16/20 gauge part.

I hunt a lot of grouse with 28" barrel and pheasants as well in heavy cover. That thing is contributing considerably to my hearing loss and I can only imagine what a 24" barrel would do to me. Rarely fire more than ten shells a day myself but I'm at it day after day for weeks on end.

Steel shot won't hurt that gun as long as your dad doesn't shoot anything larger than BB (which would be ridiculous overkill for ducks). If it is a grouse gun I doubt it's full choke anyway. Wouldn't really matter if it was. I have been shooting steel shot through my 870 3" mag fixed full choke for at least fifteen years and MANY rounds per year. I still can't see a scratch in the bore.

Comment

Honker, you need to invest in some suitable hearing protection. There are some good sophisticated choices out there these days that will not impede the hunting part and will enhance the shooting part considerably.

Comment

Canvasback hunter, when shopping for a double for my boy,we were looking at CZ, savage and the mossberg imports. We settled on the mossberg import o/u youth in 20 gauge, though I liked them all, and was hoping he'd get the sxs. I've talked to more then a few people that have the mossberg import, and they all like it a lot. I've never heard a bad word about the CZ either.The double triggers might be hard to find with the less expensive guns. I've also discovered that good used (older models) 20 gauges have risen quite a bit in price.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Rest Easy
                  by FirstBubba
                  jimbo don't like me. LOL! 😉! I caught him and called his hand....
                  Today, 07:26 PM
                • Rest Easy
                  by jhjimbo
                  Rest easy 2nd amendment, you are safe now - for the time being....
                  Yesterday, 08:55 PM
                • Reply to More on crawfishin' lightfoot lindsey grahm
                  by FirstBubba
                  Talk about caught twixt a rock and a hard spot!
                  Never did like Graham. He just looks cheesy to me.

Did appreciate what Graham did for...
                  Today, 07:18 PM
                • More on crawfishin' lightfoot lindsey grahm
                  by crm3006
                  Wow: Lindsey Graham Refuses to Issue Big Tech Subpoenas

Un-be-lievable.

Lindsey Graham swore up and down that he would
                  Today, 05:22 PM
                • Reply to Rest Easy
                  by jhjimbo
                  I have blocked several that do not post anything worth reading, off topic wrong information, or pivoting on a thread.
                  The site is much more enjoyable...
                  Today, 07:02 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X