Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hey y'all! Quick question: I got a new Savage MKII rifle for Christmas and I'm having a little difficulty figuring out what scop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey y'all! Quick question: I got a new Savage MKII rifle for Christmas and I'm having a little difficulty figuring out what scop

Hey y'all! Quick question: I got a new Savage MKII rifle for Christmas and I'm having a little difficulty figuring out what scope rings I need to buy. I found the bases on Midway USA but I have no idea what type of rings I need. The scope is a Simmons 4x32 if that's any help I'm just a little confused on what to do about rings and bases so any help would be much appreciated!

It's kinda hard to tell you without knowing what bases you are looking at. Typically rings are designed to fit a type of base. I personally like the Weaver system although most manufacturers make that kind of base. The ring size is determined by the diameter of the scope tube either 1" or 30mm. Yours is likely 1" but check. You also need to get the right height based on your Objective diameter. 32mm is likely to be Med ht in many lines.
    Most of my scopes are mounted with Leupold rings and bases but I have also used Durasight and Warne systems. The Bushnell Signature series also comes highly recommended but I have never used them. They were very hard to find last year.
    If you want to be on the safe side pay someone to do it this time and ask lots of questions, have them show you how and why they pick. Good luck!

Comment

Rings can be tricky to buy online. You want to get the lowest rings available that still give you clearance between the scope and your rifle. Usually this means actually trying them in the store. If you go to the manufacturer's website for the brand of bases and rings you are looking at, they will likely have a guide to tell you exactly what you need.

Failing that, with that rifle and a 32mm objective, you could PROBABLY get by with low rings, but there is no way for me to be sure without having them in hand. If you want to play it safe, I am essentially certain that you would be fine with medium rings, but they might be higher than you actually need.

If you want to be safe, call Midway, they should be able to tell you.

Best of luck!

Comment

I have that same rifle with a Leupold scope and rings. I believe the rifle came with the bases. It has one inch low rings. You are going to love that rifle mine is very accurate!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad