Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Check this out. It sure is good to know that gun owners do intact have some law makers on their side. Although this article only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What I meant was that there are no federal laws stating that two people of the same sex cannot get married, so there is nothing for state laws to conflict with.

Comment

States can enact laws that are more restrictive than Federal law, but they cannot enact laws less restrictive.

Comment

I should add the laws enacted by states can be more restrictive than Federal laws, as long as the aren'y unconstitutional.

Comment

I think the point has been missed. In part because of me getting us talking about the constitution. This law wouldn't override any federal laws. Is more of a loop hole, while the federal law is still applies it would be illegal to enforce in missouri if this legislation passed.

Comment

Ncarl, I understand what you mean, but the way the Supreme Court has interpreted the Supremacy Clause would find such a law unconstitutional. Any state law forbidding the enforcement of a federal law creates a conflict - it would be impossible to follow one without violating the other. In such instances, the conflict is resolved in favor of the federal law.

States cannot take any action that is interpreted to interfere with the federal government executing its laws. In one case, the Supreme Court even found that states could not charge state income tax to federal buildings. In that context, there is no way that a law expressly forbidding the enforcement of a federal law would be found constitutional.

Comment

I think the states and localities are not passing laws against any federal law or regulation, it seems more like the local or county sheriffs are choosing not to enforce them.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad