Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what is a good scope for a marlin 336 30-30 for under 100 dollars. or should i just leave it with no scope.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is a good scope for a marlin 336 30-30 for under 100 dollars. or should i just leave it with no scope.

what is a good scope for a marlin 336 30-30 for under 100 dollars. or should i just leave it with no scope.

For hunting whitetail deer in the eastern woodlands, a scope is unnecessary, and it interferes with carrying the rifle in one hand gripping the receiver.
    I have owned and hunted with both the Marlin 336 and the Winchester Model 94 for years, and never felt the urge to mount a scope.

Comment

i will be hunting hogs near san antonio tx.

Comment

It's still mostly a close-range proposition, unless you expect to be shooting across long pastures. If you do get a scope, make it a low fixed-power scope like 2 1/2X so as to permit rapid target acquisition.

Comment

I tried for years to shoot my marlin 30.30 with open sites, but it always shot to high. I went with the nikon prostaff 3-9x40. Even took a deer with it this past season.

Comment

Brock
            When a bunch of hogs come into view, a scope will just get in the way. After the first shot, it'll be a quail shoot! Hogs going everywhere!
            If you only see one or two at a time, a scope is fine.
            I've seen groups of ferals here with as many as 85!

Comment

BTW!
              As far as a scope goes for a .30-30, keep the power low. I wouldn't get anything over 4x. A scope on a .30-30 needs little magnification.

Comment

Brock, I've got a 336 in .35 Remington and I absolutely stink with iron sights so I put one of the new compact Redfield 2x7's on mine and like it very much. I carry it for deer in eastern WV, occasionally bear, and will be taking it to Ga. next month for feral hogs. If you were to try the Hornady Leverevolution ammo that supposedly increases your range capability you might appreciate a scope. Hope this helps, good hunting.

Comment

You may want to consider a receiver (aperture) sight, which is faster than the factory-provided sight. If you still want a scope, I really wouldn't put more than a low-magnification scope (2X or 3X) on the receiver. Enjoy it and every success in the field.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad