Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your opinion regarding Remington's new triangular barrel? Is it more sales hype or do you like what Remington says abou

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is your opinion regarding Remington's new triangular barrel? Is it more sales hype or do you like what Remington says abou

What is your opinion regarding Remington's new triangular barrel? Is it more sales hype or do you like what Remington says about it?

As soon as I saw it it made sense to me, the Triangle is a shape of great strength and 3 is a magic number. A stiff barrel is an accurate barrel, and a triangular barrel makes for a very stiff barrel that is much lighter than a round barrel of equal stiffness. Also, I would guess that the triangular shape makes for more consistent harmonic vibrations. Additionally, the two flat surfaces facing up allow for a little faster barrel cooling. From what I have heard from people that have purchased one, these rifles are very accurate too. It might be mostly sales hype, but I would say that a triangular barrel is always at least as good or maybe better than a round one.

Comment

Like shane says, it makes sense. But as a purist, it looks looks silly to me. Probably works though.

Comment

it makes plenty of sense. extra balance for off the bench. i see the advantage only on a gunrest. works good for tactical shooting i assume.

Comment

Resting the barrel of any rifle on anything is bad news. That is definitely not something they were thinking of when designing this barrel. Don't rest any shaped barrel on stuff unless you want to miss.

Comment

I examined it recently and it appears to provide a savings of weight, is probably much less expensive than fluting the barrel (since it would require fewer production steps). I did not fire the rifle, so I can't comment on any improvement or deterioration of accuracy, but I don't think a triangular barrel contour would negatively affect potential accuracy.

Comment

Ed, when I read ishs' post I immediately thought of fluted barrels and the heat dissipating abilities attributed to them. May be cheaper to produce than fluted too. I don't know.

Comment

Ok I will be buying the 308 soon, while I don't agree that is is a "magic" shape it is the most solid of any geometric out there. I don't know why this wasn't done prior to the fluteing but it's a first as far as I know. It takes half the weight of a bull barrel and puts in into a hunting weight barrel with a muzzle break!!! I gotta have one, I'm just waiting for the hype to die down. I love it that Remington came away from the "norm" and went with something different. If the trigger is worth a crap it should be a great shooting rifle!

Comment

3 is most definitely a magic number.

They make a non muzzle braked rifle with this barrel too. That's what I would prefer. I hate brakes. I like my hearing. Ted Nugent and guns have already ruined enough of it, I don't need a brake to make things even more deafening.

Comment

I somewhat like the appearance but then I also like the looks of half round/half octagon barrels. I'll accept some of what Remington says about the barrel shape although I doubt it will retain a spot in the market place for very long. I personally would hate to be the poor fellow who has to properly line up the barrel correctly with the receiver, but then Big Green has most likely already worked out the mechanics of that process via computerization.

Comment

Call me old fasioned! I like the looks of the round barrels and as long as they get .2MOA accuracy or better, I am happy for hunting and don't really need new shapes. I'll bet they would really be handy for scraping the ice of the outhouse seat though.

Comment

Someone just needs to test one of these rifles.

Comment

I firmly believe it's more marketing than a real performance increase. Since the walls have to be a certain thickness for the energy anyway, the "triangle" only adds unnecessary weight at the corners. From the pressure standpoint, a barrel must be "x" thick anyway. It's not like the triangle can have thinner walls on the flat sides. The pressure is the controlling factor in barrel thickness.

I think it's only for the "star wars" crowd who think different is impressive.

Comment

It's not meant to be an especially light barrel. It's meant to be a barrel that's as stiff as a heavy bull barrel but not as heavy.

Comment

It's interesting, but not sure it will live up to all the promises.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad