Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My .338-06 A-Square is nigh on the horizon. While I am an experienced handloader this will be new territory for me. I've got c

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My .338-06 A-Square is nigh on the horizon. While I am an experienced handloader this will be new territory for me. I've got c

My .338-06 A-Square is nigh on the horizon. While I am an experienced handloader this will be new territory for me. I've got cases formed from new W/W .30-06 brass (found out that Remington cases suck for this), and am leaning toward IMR 4064 and 200 grain Hornady Interlocks. I know, heavy for whitetails but should be great for black bear. Anybody have any experience or words of wisdom to share with me regarding my project? Thanks much and good shooting/hunting.

I would try some of the Hodgdon and Reliant powders. Should be a good Moose , bear and elk gun. That bullet should work well I would try Barnes trple x also. Have fun shooting.

Comment

The best brass to form 25-06, 270, 280, 338, and 35 is 30-06 Lake City Military Match Brass of the same year. They works fantastic!!!!!!

Comment

30-06 Military Brass same year none Match works too!!!

Comment

same as claycooper

Comment

same as claycooper

Comment

I use Winchester 30-06 brass to form my .338-06 cases. I have also purchased Weatherby factory 338 A Square brass to assure I won't have trouble clearing the TSA check in at the airport.

Weatherby brass is made by Norma and will last you forever. The I find the Winchester brass quite satisfactory also. Some of my necked up cases have been fired 3 times with no problems. If you choose to use necked up military brass, decrease your loads by 10% and work up carefully. The military brass is thicker than commercial stuff.

Try the book loads with Reloader 15 in the Hornady manual with their 200 grain Interlock bullet. My loads duplicate the published velocity with the 24 inch tube on my rifle.

No such thing as the 200 grain bullet being too big for deer. I have actually found that it produces less wasted meat than my '06. It will pound a very large feral hog also!

The .338-06 is a great cartridge. Recoil is relatively mild and it is only a hundred feet per second or so slower than the .338 Win. Mag.

Comment

Thanks so much, Beekeeper, greatly appreciated. It's a Ruger 77 MK II synthetic rebarreled to the .338-06 and reworked a bit. Never had a custom or an all-weather rifle so of course I'm looking forward to it. You make a good point on the 200 grain bullet, bet it will work great. Thanks again, good hunting to you and yours.

Comment

Sounds like fun! The Barnes manual #3 shows the most accurate powders to be the H414 with a max load of 65.0 g and Varget with a max load of 55.5 grains with the 200 grain bullet. I have got to believe that you will like RL15 for this cartrige too. It is shown as their most accurate powder on most bullet weights and I have had great luck with it on similar cartriges. Have fun... I may build myself one of those some day. I like the .338 but just don't care for the recoil of the .338 Lapua.

Comment

Agreed with Beekeeper and + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Reloader 17 @ 63.0 with 225gr Hornady SP
                      WW brass and Fed 210M primer
                      Most excellent load in my 338-06 WBY

Comment

Redteam, what do you use it for? I carry mine for whitetails and black bear, took it to Ga. for hogs this past February.

Comment

I use a Weatherby UL in 338-06

My load for several years

Reloader 17 @ 61.0
                          WW Brass
                          WLRM Mag primers
                          225 Nosler Part

2700 FPS in 24" barrel
                          Very Acuurate

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad