Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help! I have a Leupold scope on my .375 H&H that I don't seem to be able to tighten down enough. After about 40 healthy rounds,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! I have a Leupold scope on my .375 H&H that I don't seem to be able to tighten down enough. After about 40 healthy rounds,

Help! I have a Leupold scope on my .375 H&H; that I don't seem to be able to tighten down enough. After about 40 healthy rounds, the scope rings slide back about 3/16 inch into the power adjustment knob locking it up tight. I have tightened it to spec and even a little tighter... it is now leaving scratches on the tube where it is scraping the bluing off as it slides back. I am using good Warne quick disconnect rings on a 1" scope. Should I use some kind of glue? Should I tighten it even more? Obviously, my next step will be to my gunsmith to see what he says but I was wondering if any members here have had to solve a similar problem. Any ideas would be appreciated... thanks.

This would seem to be a common problem. I dont really know how to fix it other than check the tightness every 5 shots or so. A .375 makes a huge amount of recoil, and that can work them loose.

Comment

Its called blue Loctite. Put it on the tube but it will mess up the bluing on the scope, but that is already messed up. See if your gunsmith agrees.

Comment

I'd change your mounts to Leupold mts. not sure if this will correct the problem. Like the guys say talk to the gunsmith.

Comment

Change to Leupold rings, lap them with a Wheeler kit, tighten your screws with blue Loctite. My Leupold has never moved on my .416 since 1993 after hundreds of rounds but it is a lightweight 3 x.

Comment

I have a 45/70 that did the same thingabout every 10 shots, once I put blue loctite on all the screws and I wrap two layers of electrical tape around the scope tube to keep it from sliding, it hasn't moved since. My nikon scope is all scratched up and a slight impression was left by tighening to much, but it is dead on at 100 yards.

Comment

i had the same problem on my 30-06, the first thing to do is make sure you have good rings, if you dont have good rings then its a hopeless effort, if you have good rings then take the Blue Loctite and apply it to the screws that will tighten the scope rings. DO NOT USE THE RED LOCTITE, you will never get it the screws back out, i have used this on my 30-06 and my 7mm mag and it has worked great on both of them.

Comment

Take a small strip of fiberglass coated in blue loctite and wrap it around your scope where the rings are going to be in contact with the tube.

Comment

I would just add that over-tightening can cause problems with the internals of the scope, so proceed with caution. It sounds like new rings and bases would be the place to start. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the ones you have, but they may be wrong for this application.

Comment

I had the same problem with my slug gun. I bought new scope rings and it has not slid back yet. Try new rings.

Comment

Mich the scope tube and also the rings, if you don,t have the equipment, see a gun smith. Once in a great while either of these items are not up to specs, and if they are setting on a high recoil rifle this shows up. Otherwise, the previous suggestions are all good.

I have even used a tiny dab of Super Glue. Raises hob with the bluing, but it will fix the problem.

Comment

PS If you use Super Glue it goes on the tube, not screws

Comment

Locktight the screws, stick some masking tape inside the rings before mounting the scope, will help keep it from sliding.

Comment

I agree w/ idaho, locktite the screws, line rings w/tape, tighten until it hurts.

Comment

Thanks all... brought it to the gun smith to see what he prescribed. He used pine tar resin on the inside of the rings. He says it is such a common problem, he has a big supply of resin... we will see.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Trump Discusses Covid Statistics
                                by 99explorer
                                CRM - It would be nice if you could address the issues presented in opposing comments instead of deriding the person posting the comments.
                                Anybody
                                Today, 01:09 AM
                              • Trump Discusses Covid Statistics
                                by rock rat

​​​​​​[email protected]: “Oh, you’re doing death as a proportion of cases. I’m talking about death as a proportion of population....
                                Yesterday, 09:27 AM
                              • Reply to The George Floyd case.
                                by 99explorer
                                Dream on boys. We've all seen an actual cold-blooded murder take place on TV, and the kneeling cop will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law....
                                Today, 12:57 AM
                              • The George Floyd case.
                                by FirstBubba
                                Body cam footage shows Floyd wasn't murdered. The cop kneeling on his neck might have been negligent, but his actions did not kill Floyd.
                                Minnesota...
                                Yesterday, 10:23 PM
                              • Reply to The George Floyd case.
                                by crm3006
                                My mistake, I didn't realize the Minnesota AG was going to prosecute. I thought it was U.S. Attorney Erica MacDonald. ellison being a muslim, there is...
                                Yesterday, 11:24 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X