Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

clay,my rifle model is a marlin lever action cowboy1895 45/70.i was just looking for a recipe that i could use at the range at f

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clay,my rifle model is a marlin lever action cowboy1895 45/70.i was just looking for a recipe that i could use at the range at f

clay,my rifle model is a marlin lever action cowboy1895 45/70.i was just looking for a recipe that i could use at the range at first. the rifle was made 2008.my 30-30 is a marlin 336xlr. my 30-06 is a savage bolt action made in 2008.

First of all avoid using Magnum Primers unless the reloading data says so.

And second, find out what other shooters shooting competition are using then verify the load and carefully start working those loads up weighing each load.

Of the reloading books to have, Hornady 3rd Edition is a must and I cross reference it with Lyman. I haven’t found any errors in them, But I strongly recommend you do need Hornady 3rd Edition, Lyman, IMR Reloading data, Winchester and Hodgens. You can down load IMR reloading from their web site.

The Ruger #1 and the Ruger #3 I would use Magnum primers because you can pump up the loads on these two.

I prefer Federal 210’s for what you’re doing and runner up is Winchester Large Rifle Primers.

Back in 86 when I found I was going to Alaska I started to buy a 45-70 instead I bought a 444 Marlin. Reloading for the 45-70 is probably the most cautious cartridge I know of due to make and model you have. Examples of max loads are below for using what I’ve found to be common load throughout the loading data I’ve found and I will list the Reloading Book, Rifle and the Primers used. Please note, depending on the fire arm used the load is different as to whom did the research and development of that load. Also notice the reloading data for the Ruger #1, this fire arm you can “HOT ROD”!!! Bill Ruger owner of Ruger Firearms tried to blow up a 45-70 Ruger #3. The stock was busted in 3 places and melted the casing in the chamber! But I don’t think I would even go there!!!
    Reloading book Lyman
    Rifle: Springfield Model 1873 Trap Door
    Primer: Remington 9 ½ Large Rifle Primers
    Bullet Weight 300 Grain
    Powder: IMR4198 Max load 36.0 grains at 1647 fps
    ==================================================
    Reloading book Lyman
    Rifle: Winchester 1886
    Primer: Remington 9 ½ Large Rifle Primers
    Bullet Weight 300 Grain
    Powder: IMR4198 Max load 41.0 grains at 1779 fps

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Reloading book Hornady Third Edition
    Rifle: Springfield Model 1873 Trap Door
    Primer: Federal 210 Large Rifle Primers
    Bullet Weight 300 Grain
    Powder: IMR4198 Max load 42.5 grains at 1900 fps
    Rifle: Marlin 1895
    Bullet Weight 300 Grain
    Powder: IMR4198 Max load 51.2 grains at 2100 fps
    Rifle: Ruger #1
    Different weight listed 350 Grain
    Powder: IMR4198 Max load 53.3 grains at 2200 fps
    Rifle: Ruger #1
    Different weight listed 500 Grain
    Powder: IMR4198 Max load 47.6 grains at 1800 fps

Comment

*********** WARNING ***********

HODGENS AND IMR powder with the same number is deferent so beware!!!

Comment

If you intend to utilize any of their powder you
        can also download a good source of informaion from Hodgdon's website. Easy to use and lots of choices which are well documented by the company and its somewhat exchaustive testing. This data is handy to cross reference with that obtained from your manuals when working up loads. This does not apply to Clay's statements but don't bother using just anybody's loads without first checking them for yourself.

Comment

ishawooa THAT TOO,,THANKS!!!!

IMR4198 was the powder used for all

Comment

Repeat, Hodgdon and IMR powder numbers are not interchangeable.

Comment

Jer,

IMR 4198 has been a standard powder for me as has Reloader 7. Check out the Nosler web site also for data for thier 300 grain partition. A great hunting bullet.

Comment

Jim in Mo

Hodgdon and IMR powder numbers are not interchangeable

My stupid Brother found that out the hard way, the bolt had to be forced open

Comment

My dad uses IMR 4198 with a 300 grain hollowpoint for deer it flattens them

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad