Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I couldn't sleep this morning so I got up and looked on the TV for old westerns. I watched one Bonanza that was so old the music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I couldn't sleep this morning so I got up and looked on the TV for old westerns. I watched one Bonanza that was so old the music

I couldn't sleep this morning so I got up and looked on the TV for old westerns. I watched one Bonanza that was so old the music wasn't the orchestra stuff but sorta guitar old country. Then I watched two episodes of The Rifleman. My question: What caliber is Lucas McCain shooting? Is it 44-40, 45long colt or 45-70.

IMS 44-40 it definitely was not 45-70.

Comment

I'm with Del (of course) I'm going with 44-40.

Comment

Winchester 1892 .44-40.

Comment

I meant to include .44 Russian, a possibility and quite accurate in handguns, but I'm not sure if ever chambered for rifles.

Comment

I think I remember the rifle being a 92 so that eliminates the .45 and .45-70, could have been a .32-20, maybe .38-40 as it seems that was chambered in a M-92 or certainly a .44-40 is a possibility. Definately not a Russian unless Lucas visited a custom shop. This brings up the question of what caliber Josh Randall carried as well.

Comment

I just did a google search and Del your correct it was a 44-40, Ish, your correct it was a model 92 saddle ring carbine. Some place in Italy is making replicas of this rifle with 20in barrel.

Comment

Ish,
                In the fictional land of hollywood the story goes that Josh Randal wanted something extra so he had his Win92 barrel cut down to 12in and had the 44-40 rechambered to 45-70. In my opinion that would be quite a handful for mere mortals.

Comment

Jim in Mo: That conversion would not leave much metal for the sake of safety not to mention that the action is simply too short. Even Steve McQueen would have not approved of any such attempt although he was a daredevil on Husqvarna 250s but not as good as Malcolm Smith by a long shot.

Comment

I only meant to say that was the spin hollywood put forth when they created Wanted: Dead or Alive.

PS, I have not idea who Malcom Smith was but your right in real life McQuen did like motorcycles, don't know about his affection for guns.

Comment

Judging from the barrel diameter and the sound it produces, I would say that it is a .25-35, popular in those days.

Comment

Agreed with Del in KS and + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad